Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Cigarette Box? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Hi All,

I just got one of these boxes and was wondering if there's a correct opening position for the lid? Pictured below is one with the lid open at almost 90 degrees to the top of the box. The one I got only opens to the position shown in the Hamilton illustration below. Also, the Hamilton Seal is missing so if anyone has an extra to part with there's a post in "Wanted to Buy." Hamilton Cigarette Box Seal

RR

Different Lid Positions

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Richard,

I just checked 8 examples from my collection and found 7 opened nearly 90 degrees like the picture on the left and only one opened about 70 degrees like yours.

I think there's some variability in the diecast plastic parts and that's what determines how far they will open.

Good luck with replacing the missing seal. The only place you can get that is another plastic box. You do see printed ones from time to time, which I speculate is what Hamilton used during wartime shortages.

If you could make a photocopy of one of those and stick it on, it would be better than nothing. However I'm not really a plastic box expert, so I can't speak to the authenticity. I think I do have one of those printed seals on one of my wartime boxed sets. I'll have a look and see if I can find it.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed,

Thank you for checking your boxes and the information. It's difficult removing the pads without the lid opening all the way but it can be done. Good thing I didn't force the lid open further. The idea of a sticker got me thinking so utilizing a photograph I came up with the right size image and you're right something is better than nothing. Hopefully someday a seal will show up but until then the image will have to do.

RR

The Seal is a picture

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
They made them WITHOUT the seal too Richard.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 48
Picture of Keith Klimkowicz
posted
Hi All

Is there something missing from the inside of the top lid, or does this example look complete?

Thanks
Keith

Posts: 854 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Keith,
They came with a white silk pad in the box lid.
RR
Auction Image

IHC Member 48
posted
Thanks Richard for that information.

Do you know of anyone that makes replacements of that silk pad for the box lid?

These boxes held 992B & 950's correct. Did a 992 ever come in these boxes?

If a 992(early first model) would NOT have come in this box than what would match-up well with this box? A 992B in what case with what dial from what year?

Thanks in advance for your opinion(s).

Regards
Keith

Posts: 854 | Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Keith,

From what I've read someone used to make replacement lid pads and inner liners but I don't know if they're still available.

The plastic boxes were introduced for the 992B. The 950B also came in these boxes. The 992 models never came in them as far as I know.

As far as correct cases I'll say Model No. 2, 10, 11, A, 16, 17, with a correct dial for the time frame.

At some point the plastic boxes were discontinued and replaced with cardboard slip apart boxes so if you're considering a Model 16 or 17 you may want to find out when the plastic boxes were discontinued and the year of the watch.

RR

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
I'll add case Model No. 12, 14 , and 15.

The plastic boxes continued thru the late 1950's, but I'm not sure of the exact end date. The latest one I have in my collection is part of a 1956 boxed set.

However, there was alternative packaging starting right after WW2, when there was cutthroat price competition between Elgin and Hamilton. In the immediate postwar period, the B.W. Raymond was offered at $71.50 at a time when 992B's in standard packaging (inner plastic box and blue cardboard outer box) were selling for $90.00.

Hamilton put together a bargain-priced offering to compete with Elgin at the $71.50 price. These watches were sold in simple brown cardboard pull-apart boxes.

I started a database about these watches in our Hamilton Research Forum:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/7601094112

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 48
posted
Hi All

I could not find a replacement lid pad so I made one. Take a look and tell me how I did. Thanks!

Regards
Keith

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Looks good, nice job Keith.

Best Regards,

Ed

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Looks great, Keith. You could start a new business. Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Keith,
The lid looks great and now your box is complete and ready to store a watch.

Ed,
Thank you for explaining the brown boxes and packaging Hamilton used. It makes more sense to me now.

Enjoy the Holidays,
RR