Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B U.S. Army SN C9155 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1183
posted
Hello, everyone:

I have a Hamilton 992B marked "U.S. Army" with serial number C9155. Can anyone tell me how many movements were marked "U.S. Army?"

Thank you for your response,

Barry

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted

Posts: 2121 | Location: St. Peters, Missouri in the USA | Registered: September 17, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Barry,

It will be interesting to see if anyone is tracking these movements.

My impression is, although they show up every now and then there were not a lot of them produced. I have a "U. S. GOVT" marked 992B which is numbered C88695 on the movement. You will notice mine in the image below has the later markings. By that I mean it is a "Signature 3" with the "Adj Temp and 6 Positions" farther to the right where on your "Signature 1" it is centered. As the names imply there were also "Signature 2" movements with the markings in between those two places.

Of course your movement originally came in a military style case.

Lindell

Wink

Third Signature with "U.S. GOVT" markings...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Do you have the case for this movement and if so could you show us the Army markings on the back?

I do not know what the percentages were as to how many were marked with which markings, but I would imagine Army markings would be the most common given the size of the Army compared to the other services.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
HI, Signature 1 marked Army should be one of the least common. Read Scott Whittey's Evolution of 4992B and 3992B. If your 992B follows the same pattern, you have a winner.

Posts: 132 | Location: Warren, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Member 1183
posted
Hi, Jim:

No, I obtained this watch in the display case shown in the photos and do not have the original case.

Where can I find the article by Scott Whittey pertaining to the evolution of 4992Bs and 3992Bs?

Regards,

Barry

posted
HI BARRY, UNDER MILITARY TIMPIECE DISCUSSION,2ND.TOPICE,EVOLUTION OF 4992B & 3992B,TOPIC STARTER ,SCOTT A. WHITTEY.WELL WORTH READING.HUB.

Posts: 132 | Location: Warren, Oregon in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Barry or anyone know how many of the 1st signature were made and what the value is compared to a standard 992b. I just picked up one and it looks like Barrys but mine is in a model 16 case which I am sure is not original. I do not remember selling one so I am not sure if I did good buying it or not. Confused

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Member 1183
posted
Rob:

I don't know how many first signature 992Bs were made. In general, it seems that the lower the serial number, the more desireable.

Barry

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
There were approximately 35,000 1st signature 992B's made, but/and how many U.S. Govt/Army marked ones would be a very low percentage, I'm sure.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
I don't know what the answer would be, but why would you expect it to be a low percentage? The military tended to want everything marked to keep these high cost timepieces from disappearing.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Each of the first three signatures of 992B movements spanning the WWII era came with government markings. Above in this topic you will see Barry's first signature with "U.S Army" marking and Lindell's third signature with U.S. Government" markings. Lindell explains the first three signatures in his post and all four are shown in the image below this post.

Don

Here are each of the four basic 992B signatures:

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I would expect a low percentage on observations and recall on what I have personally seen in person and at markets.

Since approximately 35,000 1st signature 992B's were produced, at 13% [4,550], I would consider that to be a "low percentage". Perhaps 13% is about the best "guess" that we have without additional information coming forward.

Roy Ehrhardt's Hamilton book "Identification and Price Guide" states that 17,146 Government contract 992B's were made from 1941-1945.

Not scientific Jim, but just my own observations and thoughts, IMHO.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1613
posted
I have a signature 3 992b marked U.S. Govt on movement..Seral number C80523...It has a Hamilton 24 hr. dial and is in it orginal well worn Military marked case...When I get a chance I will post a couple of pictures...Gary

Posts: 2005 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011