Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Hamilton Special 23 Jewels" dial "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1851
posted
Is this dial uncommon on four foot early 950 ?

Hamilton 950 Railroad Pocket Watch in Hamilton 3 Hinged Case

[Movement number: 855345]

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013
IHC Member 1851
posted
A big "Thank You" to the elf who cleaned up and completed my post!

Posts: 207 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado in the USA | Registered: April 23, 2013

posted
Paul,

The block letter and cursive is throwing me off

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Paul,

I've seen a lot of Hamilton pocket watch dials and I've never seen that one before, so I'd say it's quite uncommon. It doesn't look like something that could have been faked, so I'm calling the dial authentic.

The only thing I question is whether this watch is a correct combination or not. In early Hamilton watches, "special" denoted a limited edition of sorts, usually made to the specifications of a particular customer. So if it says "Special" on the dial, I'd normally expect to see "Special" or a jeweler's name on the movement. I don't see anything like that on the auction movement, so that's a red flag.

Of course this wasn't ALWAYS the case, but having never seen one of these before, even in a book, I have no basis of comparison and therefore I'm cautious.

Does anyone else know?

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

You're welcome Paul.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

We are always suspicious Roll Eyes when we come across something unexpected.

Beginning with the very unusual dial, there is just enough dirt, uncleaned breaks, hairlines and such to indicate there have not been recent alterations, additions, re-assembly or other such chicanery. The signature has all the look of being genuine and other features of the dial are correct for the 1913 time-frame of the movement it fronts. Note the five minute track has serifs on the red numerals which in the case of Montgomery dials is only on the earlier examples such as this one. All that being said, the dial appears to be genuine, perhaps original to the movement.

Ed's point about expecting to find corresponding "Special" markings on the movement is well-taken, but since there is practically no place to have additional markings on a 950 movement that could perhaps be the answer. Sometimes the marking of "Special" is important but not always as it was also used to hype otherwise ordinary watches.

Now to examine the case, this bow is one seldom seen, if it is original to the case it is in harmony with one I have in my collection that appears to be from 1914 and we also see this particular and unusual design shown in some later Hamilton catalogs, all of which taken together tends to provide the look of overall correctness to this very interesting auction example.

Lindell

Wink

Hamilton marked case on this one has unusual bow design...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002