WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B Marked US Gov't, US Navy, US Army, Bu.Aero. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Are the 992B's that are marked US Gov't, US Navy, US Army, Bu.Aero., counted in the total number produced i.e. 525,258? If so, what was the total mumber produced for the goverment. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Robert,

Yes, the military 992B examples followed the regular sequence of 992B serial mumbers. It would be interesting to know where all of the numbers landed in the scheme of things.

Military 992B "U.S. Gov't" number 88693 is a survivor...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,
Thanks, I have seen several over the years. Were all of them placed in the same style case?

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Robert,
these followed the sequential numbering system for the 992B, so they would be inclusive...

also, i have not observed a movement marked US Navy so far...

they "should" be in the same style case, but some have been 'switched' over the years..

posted
Robert,
All of the U.S. Gov. issue 992B's had the case pictured in Lindell's photo. They were not in any other case. They all had the single sunk porcelain Montgomery or BM dial.
Here is a picture of an early 1st series 992B marking, with the U.S.Army issue.
We will have to get Terry to see if it's the earliest.

992B US Army

posted
Have these two lower... so far..

c4849 12-04 US ARMY, RECASE, MIL MONTY DIAL

c5157 3-04 US ARMY, RECASED, MIL MONTY DIAL 1ST MVMT SIG

these two just after...

c7936 US ARMY RECASED

c8287 mil US ARMY ORD CASE SS PORC MONTY DIAL

Do I notice something with the centerwheel on the movement above?

posted
Jim,
Thanks for the info and the image. Ehrhardt and Meggers book "Beginning to End" indicates that... Quote "US Government contract ordnance watches were issued in nickel, stainless steel and sterling silver".

As you mentioned, they used only one style case but used various type metals. Is this correct? Thanks again for the excellent reply.

Robert

posted
Robert,
The quote is correct in GENERAL terms. If you consider all Government watches, 2974B,3992B, 4992B Model 22,23,36.

We were discussing the military grade 992B and to my knowledge the case in Lindell's picture is the only correct one for that model.

posted
Jim,
Thanks.

Robert

IHC Life Member

Picture of Fred R. Hougham
posted
Just a guess, but the center wheel on that low of a serial number should be gold not brass
Fred

Posts: 324 | Location: Daytona Beach, Florida USA | Registered: November 29, 2002