• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B Help "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I bought this from a watchmaker in Winchester,Va.
The case is stainless steel.On the movement it
has USGOV. I looked in the book and there is not
a listing for SS or USGov.Could this be a re case?

Posts: 29 | Location: Hagerstown, Maryland USA | Registered: November 15, 2006
posted
922B

posted
992B

posted
992b Movement

Picture of Clyde Roper
posted
Hi Richard,

I'm sure some of the more experienced collectors will weigh in with more details, but you're right to surmise the watch was re-cased.

Here's what I can tell you after surfing the forum for the last month or so reading up on 992Bs and model 15 cases...

The stainless model 15 case was introduced about 1950 I believe, and the movement in your watch should date by serial number to about 1941-42 if memory serves. The US marked movements were originally cased in base metal or- rarer- silver cases.

If you go to the 992B research forum board on this site and then click on the serial number thread at the top you can date the movement.

A search for 992B with the forum search feature should also prove instructive.

Here is a link to a search for "992B US" and should be interesting for you.
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqW...orum_scope=254108073

Clyde

Posts: 203 | Location: North Carolina in the USA | Registered: December 05, 2006
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Richard,
As Clyde mentioned, everything appears to be correct, i.e. dial, hands, except the case.

Below is the base metal case that probably once encased your very nice movement.

Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Thanks to all that help me with this watch.

posted
The dial and hands are correct for the mvt. The military cases come up on ebay quite often. It is quite likely you can sell the SS mod 15 case for more than the mil case will cost.

Charlie

posted
I'd suggest keeping it in its "new" case. Outstanding carry watch. You can never make it "original" again even with a proper case, if that is even an issue.

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
I agree, keep it as it is. People who bought these surplus watches often wouldn't want a government marked case, or a retailer would recase it for sale. The case is part of the watch's history now.

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005