WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 992B - Porcelain/melamine dial switchover "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Dear members,

I observe many melamine dials in the later 992B models, possibly for economic reasons.

Can you tell me in which year Hamilton switched over from porcelain to melamine dials.

Thanks,
Paul

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
posted
Paul, I think the first 992B with a melamine dial was announced in late 1946. The change happened as a phasing out of the porcelain dials over several years as the various models of melamine dials were developed.

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
The switch happened at different times for different dial designs as stocks of the earlier porcelain enamel versions were exhausted. Remember, they never threw away any useable material.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004