• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Silver Cased 992B?? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up (from eBay) a curious 992B arrangement.Watch consists of a military 4992B style case in .800 silver(Keystone serial no. K046431) The movement is serial no. C164750. I figured they were fairly close in time, 3-6 years apart. I thought maybe an original 4992B movement was removed and replaced with the 992B. (With the apprpriate stem and a lever-set movement a sleeve is not needed). At any rate I figured the $325.00 buy-it-now was worth the movement and the silver case. Now I have the case and behold there it is: with a beautiful threaded stem opening and the CORRECT keystone stem and sleeve. And a lever cut out. There are traces of ordinance markings ao the case back but were polished out as there are numerous small scratches way more recent. So my question is whether this was a factory job-immediately post war? Special order? I was hoping but not expecting to find an original stem and sleeve. It all looks pretty "factory", or at least professional.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Bill,

The movement is of course 1946 production and that's a WWII case.

Check Scott Whittey's remarkable "Evolution Of 4992B Numbers / Database Beginnings" for several examples of 4992B examples in mid-World War II silver cases.

My impression is someone did some very nice work putting this one together.

If you can make out even some portion of the ordnance numbers that might help in figuring out the origins of your silver case. Can you provide some images?

Thanks for bringing this one forward, it sure is interesting, let's see what others think.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yes, images would be great.

Keep in mind that both the Army and the Navy had their own 'in-house' watch and clock repair depots with trained watchmakers to keep their non-expendable timepieces running. It would not be unexpected to find a recasing or redialing or whatever on a military timepiece done by one of these centers during its service life with the military. Or, after the timepiece found its way into the general public, the surplus parts for these also found their way into the stocks of the watchmaker's parts and supplies companies and have been used ever since for repairs by both professionals and amateurs to keep these great old timepieces running. Also, professional and amateur watchmakers are packrats and tend to accumulate large stocks of parts from their work repairing old timepieces and they have always been great recyclers using their stashes of old parts for repairs. As such, it is not easy to tell when such a recycled part that has all of the patina of its age from the original part which is not the same as when a new old stock part with no wear is used.

Posts: 872 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland USA | Registered: September 20, 2004
posted
The case could have had a Waltham or Elgin movement.They used sleeves.
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
posted
Case screw marks are definitely 992B, or 4992B. As I indicated, the sleeve threads are nicely machined, or tapped, and the keystone sleeve fits perfectly . Whoever did this was a pro. The lever slot was less than perfect, I've cut it a bit deeper and wider so lever comes out with ease and not forced. This is apparently a custom job and nicely done. I'm satisfied with that, As mentioned, ther have been some interesting concoctions in the past.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

"Oh, if only they could talk!" Big Grin

Thanks for the update Bill, we'd all love to see pictures.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002