Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

40 years how many changes? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
While studying 2 fine Hamilton 99X specimens that will soon be carefully renovated, the thought came to mind, "What a diference 40 years and two world wars can make in these beautiful pieces of workmanship. The left one is a 992B s/n C80903 c.a.1943, the right one is a 990 s/n302058 c.a. 1903

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Things of beauty both, and truly reflecting shadows of their time. Look at that 990, at least 3 kinds of Beautiful damaskeened patterns on the plates and more on the Lever Bridge and main plates! What a fine machine finish! Before our existence was put on the World War I Stake we could still afford the innocence of making The Railroads run on time while adding our personal "flair" to each of these masterpieces of Horology!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
40 years later with our war machine running at full blast for the SECOND TIME in that brief period, we were pressed to make a more "perfect timekeeper" only finished in a way that showed any blemish that interfered with it's function of keeping a war running On Time AND in our favor! Makes you think . . . have we REALLY "progressed"?!

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I recently read on a random websearch that they only made 16,000 990's. If so, that's a far cry from the 500,000+ examples of the 992B, and another consideration in your comparison.

Does anyone know if that 16,000 number is correct?

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Mark,

That is the "approximate" number I too would tend to use, they did not produce in exact numbers and of course there are most likely no more than 10 to 25% of them left these days at best. For those who want to be more precise on the original numbers, according to page 51 of Ehrhardt's "Hamilton Identification" book 16,489 is commonly recognized as the number of Grade 990 produced.

They sure are pretty movements, thanks Dave for sharing yours!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thank you!

Makes me enjoy my 990 all the more.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I finished the 992B in time to carry it all over Alaska, and after 6 weeks, it had stayed within 30 seconds of the original setting. Now, I am working up the Gumption (courage Roll Eyes) to clean and finish the 990. Mark, I carry the 992B in sequence with my Ball/Illinois/17JBunn Loaner, and my 50+ years service Elgin Invar that I discussed in another thread titles are we collectors or caretakers? But, I will probably carry the 990 sometimes when I want a friend to appreciate it too.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
And the question comes up . . . will I ever carry the 3992B? Maybe after I have carried all of my other selected favorite carry pieces. (Not counting a "Show and tell at a local NAWCC meeting).

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
Wow, so many nice watches!
But I have to admit the cabinet cought my eye first. Did you build it? Great idea for double display.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008