Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Exactly Do I Have? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Good evening,

Shown in the attached picture is a pocket watch my uncle gave me. He worked on the B&O railroad for over 50 years as a carpenter and ultimately as a foreman on a construction crew. He replaced my grandfather who was the foreman for 35 years. My Uncle built wood railroad trestles, roundhouses, etc.

Sadly years ago I was in an accident that caused the crystal to shatter and left an imprint on the face. When I had the crystal replaced, I was shown the inside of the back cover which was inscribed on many occasions when the watch was routinely tested and certified for accuracy by I imagine the railroad company. The watch still works and keeps great time but the back cover is on really tight and I don't want to mess it up by trying to force it off. I do believe it is a 21 jewel movement but I can't be sure without removing the cover.

So my questions for those with knowledge on this subject is:

1) What model do you think I have and estimated year built?

2) Can the dial be replaced?

3) Any suggestions on who could replace the dial and clean/lube the watch?

I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide. Thanks and have a great evening.

Stuart

Posts: 2 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 27, 2019
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
It appears to be a Hamilton 992B to me but with everyone changing dials with movements and cases I can not be sure. With the black hands and that dial and the stainless steel case that would be my guess. The broken crystal did not put all those hairlines in the dial. That Melamine dial is one of the worst dials ever made and that particular style is one of the most scarce dials seen on a 992B. The dial cannot be repaired. I would not even touch the dial or it may start flaking off in your hand. I think this stainless steel case came out in 1950 so I am going to guess that the 992B is no older than 1950. There are several members that service watches. I do not want to mention their names as I don't want to show favoritism but hopefully one or more of them will see this and offer their services.

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Stuart,

You can read about some of our IHC185 Members that do watch services and/or repairs in our IHC185™ Members Business Director

Posts: 5203 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Thank you for both taking the time to provide me with this information. Have a great day!

Posts: 2 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 27, 2019