Tools
Reply to Post

Lower Priced Watch Theory . . . "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Here is another 992B boxed set in a muslin pouch and a plain brown pull-apart cardboard box, serial number C157889, circa 1946. In that era we know the standard 992B packaging would have been an ivory plastic (celluloid) flip-top cigarette box inside a blue cardboard box. The theory has been advanced that some 992B's were also offered in the plain brown boxes, without the cigarette box, as a lower cost packaging option.

IMHO the emergence of this set and others like it lends credence to this theory.

This one has a price tag marked $71.39 (including federal tax), which is 20% lower than the 1949 example recently posted in Pitfalls with the standard packaging, that carried a $90.00 price tag (including federal tax).

Economy Packaging Set (no cigarette box)

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
The Economy Packaging label . . .

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
The Economy Packaging $71.39 price tag . . .

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Standard Packaging Label (1949)

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
The Standard Packaging $90.00 price tag . . .

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Ed,

That is very interesting. Have you found any literature to back up your theory? I think literature tends to make it an non-argumentative example. Good research! Smile

Best regards,

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
No literature yet Frank, but I would really like to find an advertisement or catalog entry. For now its just the paper trail of the boxed sets themselves. This is the first one I've seen that had a price tag.

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
ED U posted another example here....

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/254108073/m/311101358

"close" to this serial number...

Wish I could hold in hand... does the scotch tape make anyone else suspicious?

This is also an instance of the dial not matching the label

I 'think' the 71.xx price may have been for the 12,14,possible 15 cases... will have a look-see for cats

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
How many different 992B packages for known to exist from introduction until production ceased? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
big gap in years of cataloge pages I have available.... so cannot help on price dating right now....

packaging........

vast majority were packaged with the plastic flip box holding the watch, with the tu tone blue outer box holding the flip box....

the late watches were in blue pull-apart boxes...

then we see the examples posted at the top of this thread .... these are the ones tough to figure out.....

and we have the 'fake' boxes....

There is a letter from Hamilton describing 'temporary' packaging to take place of the flip box... production was expected to be affected by a labor strike... it is not known what these temporary boxes looked like or if they were used... the letter stated the outside boxes were available without interruption...

then we have the other Oddball..... i will see if i can get a better pic.. best i have right now..

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Terry,
Appreciate the info.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Terry,

Thanks so much for all the info. Is your "can" pictured above a movement container or is it large enough to hold a complete watch?

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
Movement container....

I speculate its use was for canadian shipments.... to be cased in fortune or other canadian manufactured cases...

here's another image....

posted
1 more

posted
Terry or others,

Have you seen other shipping containers like this one for a 992B? I don't recall seeing one before. Your Canadian theory makes sense.

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
posted
Hi Rob....

So far.... I think I have seen 2.....

The top image was captured from an ebay sale... when I bought the item....

the last two are recent.... like yesterday... of the item in hand... at first i thought they were different... the second digit looks different in the two images.. but closer examination it seems they are the same.. and it appears to be a 2...

posted
For what it's worth, I have two brown pull apart boxes, one of which is like Mr. Parsons brown "linen" box with label 992b, model No. 12, dial MHG, C184377, case 8317574 and the other of which is like Mr. Parsons brown "pigskin" box with label 992b, Model No. A, dial MHG, C242824. The interesting thing is that the "pigskin" box had a price tab in the box (not taped to it) exactly like Mr. Parsons taped example but with a price of $71.50 - not $71.39.

I am trying to post images but I can't seem to get the hang of it yet (I'm new to this) but I am still trying. I keep being warned that my upload is greater than 222mb but I can't get my images to that level. Can anyone offer me some advice?

Posts: 35 | Location: Hagerstown, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: April 15, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Malcolm if you can email them to me i will resize them and post them up... samie348@alltel.net Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Malcolm,

I tried to reach you by phone but your number is busy.

We have instructions and additional information on image sizing here...

IHC INSTRUCTIONAL FORUM: "How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks"

Or call me at 440-461-0167 and I'll be pleased to assist you.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your offer to resize and post my images, and I may take you up on it, but I'm going to try master the method first.

Mr. Riddle,

Thank you for your advice and attempt to reach me. I hope that I will be able to post after following the guidelines in the IHC Forum that you suggested I use.

Thank you both again.

Mack

Posts: 35 | Location: Hagerstown, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: April 15, 2004
posted
Malcolm

A boxed #12 is a significant find. Do you have the watches with these boxes ?

Charlie