• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Why ? an help to a newbie "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am an absolute newbie (and an Italian, so forgive my English) . I just received a 992B, really near mint. Wonderful watch: but there is one thing that puzzles me. The watch has been manufactured, I deem, in 1957 (C451740) and is lever set, as I see in quite older watches. Why Hamilton resorted to this uncomfortable setting ? The only reason I can figure out is an ellipical way to put focus on the precision of the watch (you do not need to set it ...). Sorry being long.

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
If I understand your question why did they use a set lever instead of a pendant set it was to prevent accidiental time adjustment, part of the RR regulations for these watches

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member
posted
Mario-You have a really good pocket watch there-check out our Hamilton 992B info and learn just how special that watch is!

Stick around, you are welcome here my friend!

Marty

posted
You gotta love their re-invention of lever setting in Hamilton's post-1958 catalogs featuring the Railway Specials: "SAFETY SET DEVICE TO PREVENT ACCIDENTAL CHANGING OF HANDS" By this time pendant setting was almost universal and lever setting only on railroad models so it needed special mention!

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Mario-benvenuto a IHC! Hai un orologio historico della ferrovia Americana. Ho uno collezione di tutti formi di questi 992B orologi.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome to IHC185 Mario,

Just to add a little, your approximately 1958 production 992B was based on an entirely new design introduced in October of 1940 produced until 1970 and appealed mainly to Railroad employees. One of the most basic Railroad Watch Requirements was Lever-Setting for the reasons described by others in this topic.

Consider this scenario, if you pull a stem-set watch out of your pocket you might without realizing pull up on the crown thereby changing the time indicated on the watch. With the lives of many people and a great investment in equipment at stake the trains had to be precisely timed in order to, for example change tracks or pass each other without a risk of accident. For that reason Railroad Watches were regularly inspected to guarantee the timekeeping ability of plus or minus 30 seconds over 7 days. Other requirements including Lever-Setting became mandatory for all Railroad Pocket Watches during the first decade of the Twentieth Century, most of the Railroad Standards are still in effect today.

In your 992B you have the most modern, most reliable and easiest to service of all Railroad Grade Pocket Watches, it's timekeeping ability is on a par with the finest Swiss-Made Chronometers.

Many of us enjoy collecting 992B Hamiltons and they are increasing in value.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I am really sorry, believe me ! I have just now discovered the kind answers you gave to my post ... Frown

Well,in any case meanwhile I bought a 4992B, and I'm really proud of my Hamiltons.

Thanks a lot ... and forgive me

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hello Mario,

Welcome back.... Big Grin

Sometimes these posts can get away from us and it does take time to relocate the string....

Glad to hear you purchased a new Hamilton, they are a very fine watch and very collectible....

We would very much like to see your watches and if you have the opportunity please post some photos of each of your watches....we will be watching to see your new posts....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008