WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

J T Clarke, English made key wind key set fusee pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael O'Brien
posted
Hi All,

Could Tom or one of the other European pocket watch experts tell me what I have and what it is worth.

This is what I know so far.

18 size pocket watch that is running well and keeping good time. Solid silver hinged case with a fancy design and a shield in the center of the back cover, hinged bezel and swing out movement. Porcelain dial with black Roman numerals and black hands is marked "JT Clarke Mexborough English Lever". Size 54 mm.

Thanks
Mike

Posts: 155 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 13, 2009
posted
Pick 2

posted
Pick 3

posted
Pick 4

posted
Pick 5

posted
Pick 6

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice looking watch Michael, I can give you some info on the name but others will have to give an idea of the value, I buy what I like in these types of watches but I honestly don't know what there value is.

If you could post a better picture of the case hallmarks we could get a better date & perhaps the maker of the case.

Mexborough is in Yorkshire England. In the 1901 census there was a Jno T. Clarke born about 1859 in Woodhall Lincolnshire he is listed as working watchmaker. He was living with his wife Mary E., daughter Sarah Ann, daughter ME.

I will do some more searching & see what I can find.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Mike,
Most of the British made watches I have seen of this era have gold (brass?) hands. I would think the hands on your watch are replacements.
Best,
Mike

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Mike

You might be right but I was thinking towards the 1890's with that type of dial black hands were starting to show up, just an idea from what I recall seeing & nothing provable by me.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Mike

Nice watch, british, genuine, good dial, good case.

Prove me if i'am wrong : the case is hallmarked Chester (hayheaps and sword) 1895 (M).
At this time the hands are Ok.

The movement is a late fusee,low jeweled (7j), monometallic balance (redgold), flat blued hairspring.

Movements like this were made since ~1875 in the Coventry region, fully engraved with (various) names and numbers 'ready to sale'. You can see the 'daisy' at the balance cap jewel,'craw feet' or 'arrows' at the index (both Liverpool elements) amd the 'coventry star' between the S F markings (symbol of the Coventry engravers).

Please show a picture of the hallmarks.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Thanks for the info Guys.

Attached are the hallmarks. Any idea of the value?

posted
The date mark is H not M :

Chester 1891

The maker is Robert Gravenor of Coventry (id by comparison with a picture)

The value ? - low jeweled ; + running, good dial, good case -- $150 ? (and no buy at my side Smile)

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009