Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newly Discovered Meylan Repeater "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It would appear that the person that presented the watch Jacob Bertschmann has his named misspelled often.

I did find him in the 1880 census living in NYC, NY & listed as Counsel for Switzerland, it shows he was born about 1838 in Switzerland & he was living in NY with his wife Amelia & son Louis.

He was born Jacques "Jacob" Bertschmann inn 1835 in Basle Switzerland & died October 28, 1918 in NY, NY.

This is from the NY Times Oct 30, 1918.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
J Bertschmann was also President of the Swiss Benevolent Society (1870 -1873); for sure a focus for swiss emigrants to the States or people like Meylan who were temporarily resident in NY.

Some of the connections and history of Bertschmann & Maloy:
135 Years Maloy Risk Services

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank you Tom for your extensive research!

And Gerald, thanks for the link Smile

Posts: 5198 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Portrait of Mr. Bertschmann:

source: Notable New Yorkers of 1896-1899; A Companion Volume to Kings Handbook of New York City: p289

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Good work boys!

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Without the history surrounding this interesting and priceless timepiece it would merely be another piece of man made machinery in the annals of time.

Thank you Tom for all you do and the research you afford to make it my pleasure to belong to this internet club.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Tom,

This is extremely helpful. I cannot thank you enough. I would love copies of all of the documents and if you wouldn't mind telling me where you get your information from that would be great too. My exhibit will be complete thanks to you and Gerald. Thank you so much to both of you. If you would like I can post pictures of my exhibit once it goes up. I am taking high quality color pictures of it and recording its chime. It really is a work of art, and the family story is great.

Best,

Jessica

Posts: 13 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2014
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Jessica
I have started emailing you the records I located. Good luck on the project.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of your responses. I am doing some more research now into the watch and it's background. Does anyone know the significance of a man receiving a gold watch in 1900 or 1910? One business partner gave it to another business partner. I am having a hard time finding literature on this issue.

Posts: 13 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2014