Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any history available for Elwee Fleurier? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi,

I have very recently been bitten by the pocket watch collecting bug. I have a Eeway Fleurier, N.588 with very ornately carved mechanics. Does anyone have any further information about this watchmaker?

You can see of picture of a watch like it at: http://www.gros-delettrez.com/...joux/16122006/40.jpg

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks, Terri

Posts: 5 | Location: Boulder, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 12, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Terri

Welcome to the club. I can't tell you much about your watch. I looked in Loomes 21st cen ed of Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the world & Fleurier is not listed.

Doing a google search I found other watches with that name that are all Swiss made & made for the Chinese market. Your watch does have the look of what I have seen called Chinese market watches. Does the dial have Chinese characters?

I am sure John or others might have more information.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi Terri

Tom was right with his thought about swiss made watches for the chinese market.
Have a look at the following link: The Chinese Market Watch

The 'Lee Wai' seems to be similar to the 'Bo Wai' for 'Bovet' and is likely a 'cantonesition' of the maker. At Fleurier, switzerland there were many manufactures making watches for the chinese market (Bovet Fleurier was the best known , largest or earliest of them).

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Gerald, I was hoping you would check in! Have a great day.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Hi,

Thanks so much for the information. The face of the watch has roman numberals I-XII and arabic 15, 30, 45,60. The serial number with the Elwee Fleurier is #588. It has 0.800, 2588, U, a lion and something that looks sort of like a ladybug stamped in the cover. Forgive my ignorance, I know enough to know the symbols mean something but not yet enough to know what they are, lol!

I am learning more everyday and find it all very interesting! I have about a dozen more European watches to identify so the fun is just beginning!

Thanks for the help!~
Terri Smith

Posts: 5 | Location: Boulder, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 12, 2010
posted
Terri

It would help a lot if you could show us some pictures of the watch. Otherwise you can try to look for british silver hallmarks (but in this case the chance is fifty-fifty that those marks could also be swiss 'Pseudo marks'

And
- we have a dozen more days to discuss your watches Smile

Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009