Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
A friend of mine has a running, chain-driven fusee pocket watch with "Geo. W. Riggs" signed on the movement. It also says "Georgetown" and "9656". It appears to me to be late 18th century, although I haven't seen many to compare against.

Anyone have any information on this watch? I don't have any pictures. I just got to look at it for a little while.

Thanks,

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
posted
John,

Many Riggs listed in Philadelphia from the early 1800's until the 1880's.. A pictue would be very helpful as it may be have an earlier verge escapment or later lever escapement...

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here are some pictures

Movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Dial

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Maker's Marks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Close up of ornamental balance cock

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Hallmarks on inner case

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Hallmarks on outer case

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Here is a picture of the side of the watch...

Does anyone have any information that could pinpoint the location and date of the manufacturing of this old fusee watch?

Thanks,

John III

posted
Hi John J,
I would say with absolute certainty, that the watch is English - as is the maker, he probably emigrated to the USA at some point to carry on his trade on your side of the 'Pond'- or took it with him and engraved the movement later.

Laws passed by the 'Clockmakers Company' governing what a watchmaker could and could not do as regards engraving his name on dials and movements were very strict in those days, and many makers who were not 'Free' of the Clockmaker's Company (Freemen)fled the country to produce their wares elsewhere to avoid prosecution and imprisonment. It was illegal for them to engrave their names on any part of a timepiece!
How time change eh!

A quick check in my Hallmarks books, suggests that the case is Sterling Silver, and London assayed for 1803.
The casemaker's stamp although worn, appears to be 'TC' in a shield, and depending upon the shape of the shield, would suggest one of 3x makers using the Initials 'TC' for London.

The maker most likely though, and using the registered mark for the hallmark date consistently up to 1882, is Thomas & Richard Carpenter, who first registered the initials and maker's mark in 1775.
They were operating initially from 5 Islington Rd, London UK,
In 20 July 1797 moved to 9. Islington Rd, where they are joined by Thomas Collier of 54 Bath Street, using the same initials (pendant maker).
From 1840 to 6 President St West (Sounds like a US address almost ;>Wink)
From 1858 - Manufactory at 73 Rahere St, St Lukes
5 Oct 1878. 40 Chilwynd Road, Highgate,
From 24 April 1878- Thomas Cobb (Defaced 8 Dec 1886)13 Northampton Square Clerkenwell
And on it goes into 1900 where the trail stops.
The dates given are those registered with the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths.

If you want the extra entries let me know.

The watchmaker Geo W Riggs is not mentioned in any of my books or by Loomes or Baillie etc, so either none of his works or apprenticeship records exist or have been recorded or, quite possibly, he was never apprenticed or made free of the clockmaker's company.

Essentially, he 'could' have been apprenticed to a maker, but never indentured, or produced a 'masterpiece' for scrutiny by the Clockamkers Company to be awarded his 'freedom', and henceforth allowed to work as a journeyman (and legally engrave his own name on his timepiece dials and movements on his own account).

There are however, several 'Riggs' makers in the USA of a later date, who could be his descendents.
There are makers of a similar name in the UK however, by whom he could have been trained.
Census records etc may tie him in with one of them.

Willian Rigg - London 1711
John Rigg - Guisborough Ca 1740-1790
Thomas Rigg- Guisborough mid 1850's
William H.C. Riggs - Philladelphia 1819 - 61
Riggs Brothers - Philadelphia USA - 1872-79
All other entries are quite a bit later so not really relevent unless doing a family history connection on them.

William H.C. Riggs, is a most likely candidate as a relative of your maker given the time frame, so may be worth researching him at your end if you want the history of the man.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
John Woolsey.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
John,

Fascinating history lesson, especially regarding the Clockmakers Company. I collect mostly 20th century pocket watches so this is all new to me.

I will pass on the information you provided to my friend who owns the watch. Thank you so much for the detective work! Cool

Regards,

John III