Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Minute Repeater Help "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Does anyone know the maker of this watch. I am not about to pull the dial to see if there is any maker name under it. Also is this a 32 jewel? Thanks for input

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice 14K Hunting Case

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
other side

Picture of Joseph W. Robinson
posted
Wow! Another gorgeous example! Smile Where do you find these beauties?

And again... Here is another great example that should find its way into a European forum for further discussion and perhaps answers to Rob's questions.

Joe

Posts: 150 | Location: Milan, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Hi yes a nice hi-grade movement, could be Agassiz, Meylan, LeCoultre, but pulling the dial is always good, although a lot were unsigned under the dial. Looks like a nice American recase. Regards Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
Crazy nice watch Rob.

Gene, What are you seeing that leads you to the recase conclusion? Anything is possible but, I can't understand why or how anyone would've recased this watch. What am I missing?

I might agree with you that the odds are low it is signed under the dial. So much of this stuff went out unsigned which makes little sense to me.
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Rob,

Great watch, what size is it mm? do you have a picture of the dial also

Thanks Chris

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I am betting this is a Le Coultre. Notice that the hammer for the inner gong is detached from the main repeater bridge. That is a fairly unusual layout. None of my 4 minute repeaters by Meylan (2), Touchon, and Koehn have such a detached hammer. Three Le Coultres shown in the 2007 Complete Price Guide have such a detached hammer, the 32j on page 516 and the calibers 43 A and B on page 517. The only other repeater I can find in the 2007 guide with a relatively similar detached hammer is the Non-Magnetic Watch Co. repeater on page 532, but that watch has an unusual main repeater bridge. It is hard to see the bridge in your watch, Rob, under the forest of chronograph parts, but it looks more like the Le Coultre. When you also consider that Le Coultre was one of the biggest repeater movement suppliers, the odds that it is a Le Coultre go up.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture of the dial. THe watch measures 53mm across the case without the pendant or slide or chrono button. Thanks for all the help to. Gene welcome to the 185 site I am also curious as to why you believe this is a recase??

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is another picture of the hammers

posted
Fabulous watch Rob, I'm astounded how you keep managing to pick up these gems - you'll be able to quit working soon at this rate Big Grin Razz!

I know very little about repeaters as I never see any as a rule except on the boards here, and they're way out of my league financially.
This one does have an unusual feature even on pocket watches, which is the 'Wolf's Teeth' style winding wheels.
That is fairly uncommon feature even on high end watches as a rule, so may help pin down the maker.

Can you see any small symbols or letters of any description, say below the balance or between bridges anywhere?

Great watch, thanks for showing it.

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey John I have looked this watch over several times and even the case is unmarked. I am leaning towards what Ethan said of it being a LeCoultre. I surely am not going to go through trouble of removing the dial since many were unmarked like Cort says. Plus I do not feel comfortable taking apart a complicated watch even if it is only the dial. Smile

posted
I'm with you all the way there Rob, very often I too have found nice looking movements that are totally un-named, and sod's law will always dictate that the one you decide to look at will be the one you bust! Roll Eyes
(Got the 'T' shirt to prove it! Big Grin )

To be Honest though, if it's a complicated movement and a repeater too, it'll fetch a fortune anyway if it's a nice looker - and that one is!

I hope you're looking after your 'grass' well! Big Grin Big Grin

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 660

posted
I've been on vacation, and only occasionally in contact with civilization. Regarding LeCoultre, doesn't this repeater have some sort of centrifugal regulator, that potentially rules out LeCoultre? I believe that I am seeing such a regulator. While my knowledge of repeaters is limited, I do not readily associate this device with LeCoultre.

Mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005
IHC Life Member
posted
Hey Mike that one does not have a centrifugal regulator. This one does as you can see. Another one I picked up.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Robert,
Some LeCoultre repeaters have the LeCoultre name engraved under one of the hammers. No need to pull the dial to check, just push up on the hammers with a toothpick.
Also, are you sure it doesn't have a centrifugal repeat regulator? The jeweled cock between the repeat mainspring and the hammer on the right seems to be over that type of regulator.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Cooksey Shugart
posted
Hello Rob, your repeater is a Le Phare movement due to the centrifugal styl governor. See page 519 book #24 to 27.
Cooksey

Posts: 62 | Location: Cleveland, Tennessee USA | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Ed & Mike You are right I owe Mike an appology I never seen a centrifugal regulator so small. I checked under the hammers and did not see any markings. Smile

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Darn, I was just going to suggest the one on page 495 on the right, and you guys have to get technical on me. lololol

So what is a CENTRIFUGAL REGULATOR look like?

Sure looked close to me though.

Good information here huh?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Ok Robert asked why I think it's a recase. First of all look at the picture of the movement in the case. The base of the gongs shows a crude cut out, look at the amount of space around the gongs , unsymetrical and wat to much room at the top. Next clue, the slide is sloppy and it would not have a ribbed pendant to slide over, that area would be smooth or lightly engraved. The style of the case is typical American drum, and would not have been appropriate for this movement. I can't see the cutout for the chrono button, but I would bet that it looks sloppy. Regards geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
Take a look at the picture of the movement of the second repeater and see how nice and symetrical it is and no notch out for the gong base. Sometimes the gong base has been notched but it would be a very tight professional fit. So Robert without seeing it in person I would bet 90% yours is a recase, it's still a nice piece. Thanks for the welcome. Geno

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a picture of the button
Shadow on the coin edge give it an appearance it is gf worn thru.