Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Bertmar Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Flegel
posted
Can anyone give me a quick headsup on Bertmar Watches. Quality, how long have they been around, just a quicj fillin. Have chance to purchase one. What is the going price for these, cannot see any the complete guide.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 06, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
quote:
Bertmar Watches

google is your best friend Big Grin
from internet I'm not that smart Eek
Bertmar was the house brand name for watches sold by People's (Credit) Jewellers, likely up until the late 1970s or early 1980s. The founder, Frank Gerstein, had two sons in the business. Their names were Bert(rand) and Mar(vin), hence the Bertmar name. People's had stores all across Canada, from Newfoundland to Vancouver Island. So it would nor be possible to narrow it down as to where it was originally sold. When Frank was running the business, it was located primarily in Ontario, with catalog stores in many locations across Canada.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of David Flegel
posted
Since posting the question I also found that part out. The person selling this watch was claiming it to be RRG. Knowing Peoples I doubt that it came with those standards. Peoples was not known as a high end jeweler. They were I believe the second line store chain for another called Mappins.

I was hoping someone would have a better idea as to quality. As it is I think I will pass on this one.

posted
I can give you some background to Bertmar watches.

Posts: 1 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: April 11, 2012
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Marvin,

In your profile you stated...

addendum to posting of March 29 while surfing for info on Frank Gerstein, my father, and being son Mar(vin). Can provide certain info regarding BERTMAR

We would love to have you share the background information on the Bertmar watches! Your personal recollections will be fascinating I am sure!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Marvin; I, and I'm sure all of the members welcome your insights. People's Credit Jewellers was a legendary Canadian jewelery chain,and prominent in my home town of Winnipeg, and most assuredly sold many RR watches. It was like a Birks for the common man. A respectful tip of my hat to a famous family of entrepreneurs!!! Wink Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
Picture of David Flegel
posted
I am sorry if I offened anyone with my questions. I was just going on what I have been told by people in Ottawa and was why I was asking the question.

I am not sure how to word this. While as Tom stated it was a legedary chain. On what level it sold seems to be the point of difference. Maybe it is urban myth or the store got knocked where it should not have been. That would not be uncommon to Ottawa to bring down a Canadian instituion or person that was successful.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
P.S. Marvin !!! Got any old watches, parts or tools in the basement you want to sell ? LOL, Wink

As well Marvin,I remember the catchy People's advertising jingles on radio and early T-V in Winnipeg

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009