WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identifying a Charles H. Grottendieck Pocket watch movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am trying to determine the make of this movement housed in an 18K 48.75 mm case. The most recent evidence I have is that this is an A. Jaccard movement. More photos and details of this movement can be found at www.northernpartners.com in the pocket watch section under Swiss and other. Any help will be appreciated.

Help Identify old pocket watch

Posts: 12 | Location: Ludington, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2010
posted
Welcome to IHC 185 Terry, and thanks for posting the photo's for us.

Can't help with the maker sorry to say, but it's a very nice looking movement.
Perhaps Gerald or another member may be able to throw some light on it for you.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi Terry

Welcome to the IHC 185!

It is a very nice watch to start a first post!

First some questions.
Where do you got the connection to Charles Grottendieck? Are there any casemarks(not meaning the numbers? Please show them. Would you please show a close-up of the regulator.

Charles Grottendieck was a famous clockmaker of Bruxelles. Concerning watches he was a retailer.
I can not imagine that he was just trading highest quality watches. High quality for the prestige and good watches for the bread.

If a mark is put on the dial plate like this it is in most cases the makers mark. I do not know who was 'Savoye F & Cie ; Nyret Freres' but Savoye seems to be a watchmakers family in the Genevea area and 'Nyret Freres' was a famous manufacture of silk fabric in Saint Etienne (eastern France). It is said that at certain times they put in some money to other guilds or crafts to broaden their assortement and to avoid problems with the ever changeing fashion modes which were hard to foresee. I think they possibly became partners of a small watch manufacture. Watches with this mark shine up sometimes in france, germany or belgium.

For a Patek make the watch seems not to have the final finesse of those watches (not to talk about a moustache lever or wolf-teeth). The rims of the wheels are little broad. It is hard to tell from the pictures but I think no. Of course it has a certain Patek-like style but Patek watches were copied in name and/or style. It is very unlikely that great houses sold via third persons,compare this to the unmarked Patek but Tiffany marked and sold watches.

The watch is nice, it has a beautiful gold case and a very unusual regulator.

Just name what you can see and everything is fine!

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
C Grottendieck is marked on the dust cover, I actually communicated with someone from Belgium by using an internet translation service and that is where i got the information that is on the website now.

Dust cover

Posts: 12 | Location: Ludington, Michigan in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2010