WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

PHOTOS JUST ADDED help with PAUL GARNIER repeater pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Everyone,
I was contacted by a woman who has a 18k PAUL GARNIER repeater pocket watch. Attached are photos that she sent me. I know PAUL GARNIER is considered the founder of the carriage clock, but I know little about his pocket watches. It features a portrait dial with a name for markers. From her description;

"it is 18kt. and it does work and chimes. plus the number inside cover is
7029 plus
a very small mark but i don't know what it is(maybe a maker's mark?)
plus script print
PAUL GARNIER
below that
M cien(i think) DE LA MARINE
below that
N with 1700 ( inside a circle)"

Is this type of dial "rare" and or desirable? Are his movements high quality? Are is pocket watches scarce? Are they sought after? What age does this date from? She is suppose to call me tomorrow & any help will help me price it for her. Can anyone help me? Thank you... Best, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
posted
James

WOW

What a watch! Now I know what your Ebay name stands for !

With the blurry photos all I can say to the watch is just a first impression for now and not a precise description as you may think.

Jean-Paul Garnier (1801 - 1870) was the french clockmaker of his time, famous amongst other inverntions for his carriage clocks and his precision railway clocks for railroad companies in france and in the french colonies). Watchmaker of king Louis Philippe I in 1835....

His work was continued by his son Paul-Casimir Garnier (1834-1916). Before his death he donated a collection of 56 clocks and watches to the Louvre with the terms that a room should made and named for this gift.
1916 the nephew Paul-Pierre Blot Garnier (born 1871 continued the business...
1999 the name Paul Garnier was taken by the swatch group.

In their advertisements they proudly named 'Maison Paul Garnier Horloger Mecanicien de la marine et del la chemins de fer francais et etrangers'

The watch:

18k gold; repeater (quarter or minutes);two trains; key wound key set, very likely with independant jumping centre seconds; high jeweled (through the hammers); all looks original and in very good condition. I would date 1860 - 1880.

I think Garnier did not make this watch. It is a very high leveled watch and I think it was swiss made. With better photos I can try to search the maker. It is a lebeled watch and with his reputation Garnier did sure not label any watch.

The dial:

Photographic dial (Tom Brown wrote something about them short time ago). Runic dial. If I am not wrong reads 'Paul Schwartz'? . Try to get informations by the lady. I an not sure when those photo dials first were made (original or personalized later ?)

We are discussing a watch that sure should sell by an auction house.

And sure further investigation with better photos is needed!

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Hello Gerald,
Thank you for the information. It looks like I bought the watch. When I receive it, I will post some better photos. I'm excited about this watch & can't wait to receive it. Thanks again! Best, Jim

posted
James

Wait and see.

If you receive the watch you may also send me the (not resized) photos and I will take a closer look.

To shorten up the time I add a link about Paul Garnier (in french)

The picture shows the gift to the Louvre

Regards,
Gerald

posted
Gerald, I just received the watch in the mail & I am very pleased. One of the neatest watches I have ever owned. And what a movement! Video will be added so you can hear it chime. I would love to hear your opinion. Can you tell me from the photos how many jewels it has? Also, if you need the full size photos of the movement, let me know. Best, Jim

posted
Video link of the watch

posted
Great watch and great photos !

Quarter repeater, It is fully jeweled. I think it has 41 jewels, golden train and golden settings for the three pairs of cap stones.
I would like to have the picture with the hallmarks, try to get the small one in the center.

Gerald

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice, wish I wasn't so deaf that I could hear it.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom, just turn up the volume Big Grin

Gerald, the diamond hallmark looks an "A H" with a torch in between. I just re-cropped this, I will try to get a closer bigger shot soon.

posted
Have a look at page 495 of the 2010 price guide !

french gold eagle and a typical french makers mark

The watch was not made for export from the beginning

Gerald

posted
Gerald, it is a french hallmark that was used starting in 1838. I agree, never meant to be exported. The watch on page 495 I think is more similar of the period than the movemet itself.

posted
I did not mean it's the same watch.
The example in the book is ~ 15 years earlier (it has a poised side lever, yours is straight).
In this time period there are not so many makers of those complicated watches so Golay or Breting is a good name to start with the search for the maker. The 'L' and 'J' shape of the two barrel bridges I have seen only at Golay watches.

Gerald

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Wow Jim! What a beautiful watch! Big Grin There are jewels all over it. An incredible time piece!

And she sounds wonderful! You have quite a treasure there. Congratulations!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
what a beauty of a watch, and i can see the genesis of how it came to you in the eBay recent sale by you of a gold repeater,nice little video,but a modest smile Smile would have been the crowning touch LOL,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009