Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Verge fusee watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hello all,

Need some help identifying this watch.. It was made by Grimaldi and is marked London.. Ser number is 1301. Hallmarks are lion, small case n and lion head. I am trying to figure out who this guy was.. Hallmarks lead me to believe it was made around 1830.. It is about a 12 size.. Best part about this little wonder... It keeps pretty good time.. about 2 minutes in 24 hours.. any help on some history is greatly appreciated..

Sorry about the bad pics.. gotta get a light defuser and better camera.

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
number 2

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
number 3

posted
Hi Bruce,

A total of 3 Grimalde's listed in my book. All from the early 1800's. The listing has an e at the end of there name, are you sure about the I. I can not read your hallmarks very well so dating is not possible. This appears to be a very interesting watch to me. One of the Grimalde's made high grade items. This shape of balance cock is not seen much. The end stone is also somewhat harder to find in early 1800's watches. Winding thru the dial is usually continential. Are you sure it is a Verge escapment...

Regards,
John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi John,

Here are some more pictures.. as you can see, it is a verge.. I cant really tell if it is an i or an e in his last name..

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
verge

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
last name

posted
Bruce

Great pictures this time around... Case date is 1828. Case maker I M H initials for John Martin Harding, active from 1824 until at least 1838. English subtitute I and J at will.... yes it is a verge, still some unusual items on this one. Is the top of the blance wheel rounded or flat? appears rounded to me.. Regulator scale markings are different... also the spring that holds the movement to the case looks a lot earlier. It appears to me the maker was trying to make his verge watch look moderen, single case, "moderen"style balance cock. Single case levers were all the rage by 1828. Running that well means its a keeper to me .... Wink

Regards,
John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002