Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Alpina Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I have in my collection a pocket watch marked Alpina. I believe Alpina was a selling banner with a number of companies making their watches but I am not positive of my facts. This particular watch is 53mm outside diameter with a 42mm gold coloured metal dial. Case is well used but appears to be origional to watch. The watch is thin at just over 10mm overall thickness. It is either rolled gold or plated gold as there is some brassing at winding stem. Nothing on case about what it is made from. Inside of lid has a trademark consisting of a triangle with a circle inside touching the sides. 3 small stars under base. Under stars is name Alpina in script. Matches name on dial. Under back lid is same as front but also has Garanti and 25 Jahre. Could this be a 25 year case? Movement appears to be 15 jewels but not marked. Has a model no just above small winding gears of 236. Marked Alpina just next to serial no. Finally the serial number is 0000058. Could this be classed as an early example of a whole lot that were made or is this just optamistic thinking by the maker. I would love to know more, especially when this was made.
Yet to decide it's fate.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
A couple more views

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Movement details. The blue bits are actually silver. Went blue when I enhanced the picture to show the numbers.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Read their History Here! I bet they could tell you about your watch!

In 1901, the name "Alpina" was registered as a trademark at the same time; it would only appear on the dials of high-end watches. From the beginning, Alpina watches were manufactured with high quality components, amongst others Brequet spirals, balance wheels with gold screws and heavy gold cases.

Today each watch is still individually assembled by hand.

See all of it here

http://www.alpina-watches.com/corporate/Company.asp?key=2&sub=21&Id=1

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Found my first post when I was looking for something else so I got rid of the second one. I think they call this a senior's moment. Sheila, thanks for the link. Will see if I can find out more from there. At first glance it appears to deal mainly with wrist watches but does have a bit of background about the company. It all helps.
I have sent them an email with a couple of questions. Will let you know if they reply.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Stephen,
I found another of my trademark books and Alpina is listed as:

Union Horologere S.A. Bienne Switzerlans

The notes:

Filed: March 21, 1924
Use Since 1896
Claim: Watches

The information is frome the United States Horological Trademark Index by Kurtis Meyers

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004