Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

IWC - Does it have enough merit to do up? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Folks

I have a friends IWC pocket watch which is a little sad and battered. He wants to get it up and running for his 85 year old father. I would value your opinion as to whether the watch has enough merit to be worth the effort.

Details:
Mvmnt Side - serial number 684148, which dates it to 1915. Also has inscribed H6 Peerless, a lion and +55231.

Dial Side - Probus, IWC, Scafusia, the Swiss Cross and number 31457.

This is a Calibre 57, OF, 15j, 3/4 plate, 18 ligne 41mm mvmt. It is pin set and stem wind.

The problems include: a broken balance staff, broken escape wheel, missing hairspring, one missing pallet stone, no dial, no hands, missing dial side hour wheel, missing canon pinion, missing clutch lever, the odd screw and odd cracked jewel.

Are parts available for IWC pocket watches?

I think the the most effective way to repair would be to obtain another part movement from somewhere / someone.

What do folks think about this project?

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Gordon,

IWC are superb watches and highly prized by collectors.
Your friend's watch is a 'Stauffer' IWC (SS&Co) who (in a nutshell) were the British import arm of IWC.

If it has screwed in jewel chatons and a micrometer index, it's one of the better models and well worth doing, although they all are in truth!

Getting bits for your watch will be like finding hens teeth frankly!
I've scores of Swiss movements and grillions of train parts which may be suitable, but the hairspring will be pot luck of what you can find frankly - and almost certainly a Breguet overcoil type.

The plus about your watch is that from that era, it won't have been made 'in house' by IWC or Stauffer, so will have been assembled from bits bought in from other suppliers.

The dial likewise with the train parts - it won't be easy finding one!
All Swiss makers seem to have some perverse obsession with making every movement - even within the same watch house, with different dial foot positions!

I've no doubt the movement could be restored, but it won't be a quick job!

My stuff is all in secure storage and inaccessible until mid November, but if it helps, I have a complete IWC (SS&Co)'almost running' movement.
It needs a clean!
It is complete with dial (Sheffield Goldsmith's Company)- White with Black Roman numerals and Blued steel Spade & poker hands.
Has gold pressed in jewel chatons, but can't remember whether the index lever is a plain lever or micrometer type.

The other vital point; I can't remember at this point, is whether it is stem wind/set or stem wind/pin set.

I really really don't want to see this movement parted out to make another one run though - if you get my drift!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
John

Thanks for the details. I have sent a reply to your email address.

Regards

Gordon

Posts: 184 | Location: Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: February 02, 2007
posted
Got your mail ok Gordon, will reply to you later.

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006