Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any Idea of the Company that made this? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I bought this movement off ebay, it is an 18s 15 jewel that looks a lot like an E. Howard series III but I am sure it isn't.

The name on the watch I found in a city directory for Denver Colorado as a jeweler located in Denver & Switzerland.

The movement is both key wind & set from the back & needs a case & a second hand.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to the maker. I don't think it is what is called a Swiss fake, it is well made & the balance is split & has a real regulator. The one odd thing is the serial number seems to fall in line with the Howard Series III but there are differences, also the dial has two feet & is held in with the Swiss style screw posts.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

movement

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Main spring barrel

barrel

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dial side

movement02

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Dial

dial01

posted
Hey Tom, Check out the Philadelphia Watch Co. Has some similarities to your watch. Good luck.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Tom - I know I had seen this name before. I found this link with a reference to Ulysse Bourquin in the foot note. It's in French but everything is about horology in the St. Imier valley, Switzerland -

http://www.ordiecole.com/horlogerie_vallon.html

I also found this page listing a Ulysse born about 1840. There are lots of Bourquins and if you look at the names of their spouses you see names like LeCoultre, Huguenin, etc. that are big watch families -

http://www.gen-gen.ch/?a=20&p=473&SurName=BOURQUIN

I even found a Jules Bourquin who lived in Horton, Kansas. His parents had worked for Longines and jewelry store there. He took up photography and was interested in railroads of all things! He had 5 brothers but their names aren't mentioned.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro...00035/smu-00035.html

It seems the Bourqins have had a long history of horology!

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks for the info Ray & Mary Ann, I see what I can get from there.

Tom