• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help identifying this movement "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I need help in identifying this movement. It is about a 16s in a 14k case. Looks to be european. Any guesses? Thanks, Jim

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Swiss version of a "Glashutte" movement?

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
I was thinking German. That is why I asked for help. Not real familiar with them. Why a Swiss version? Thanks!

Posts: 273 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I'm no expert on this subject, but it is my impresssion that the Swiss made many good but inexpensive copies of Glashutte-style movements, frequently unsigned. This looks like one of them. I had a very similar watch once, but with a Wilmot's regulator.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Early Omega and Longines used very similar plate layouts with screw set jewels.

Stauffer SS&Co ebauches also use similar screwed settings and the polished winding wheels, but the regulator and plate layout is wrong for those.

It also has 'Avance' engraved on the balance cock, so it wasn't made for the English speaking market.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006