Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is the meaning of the case picture "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
I posted a picture of the H.E. Peck watch I am researching (https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/5101048133)Link

and noted that the engraved picture on the back is very similar to the one that Roger is trying to identify. (https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2291010082/m/9961070233)Link

Can anyone give some background on this engraving? What is the significance of the horn?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Bruce

I can't get those links you posted to do anything but crash my web browser. Are they right?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Tom. Don't include the parantheses ( ) at the start and end of the link. I think computers consider that a command of some kind which may explain why your browser crashes.

Bruce - My first thought was that the horn is a cornucopia (horn of plenty) which is supposed to symbolize good fortune. But there is an obelisk shaped form coming out of the mouth of the horn. Then I thought, perhaps, that is a Masonic symbol. I know next to nothing about the Masons but do see a lot of geometric forms used. I could very well be wrong on both accounts. I would be interested, too, to find out what it means.

Mary Ann

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bruce,

I put a couple of "Link" buttons at the end of your references. If you right click and copy the URL name at the top of your browser you can use the URL button in the posting board and paste the URL in the line provided and the under that give it a name. It may take a couple of tries but you will soon understand it. If you need to edit your post, the little eraser and paper in the lower right corner of your post will allow you to go back to your post and edit it.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Bruce and Mary,

Welcome to the club as they might say. I am sure you both will find this to be an informative place to be and we look forward to your postings in the future.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
posted
Bruce,

As the watch and case are Swiss made, could the horn be a stylistic representation of an 'Alphorn'?

http://www.amazingalphorn.com/

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Thanks all.

One of the things about being a newbie is learning how the site works. Now I know about the link system.

I found it interesting that the two cases have similar designs on them. Anyone have this design on a case that they know where it is from?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008