WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

English Pocket Watch with an 'American Civil War Connection' "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired this 18K English pocket watch and thought the inscription might be of interest. It was presented to David Crossley in recognition of services rendered as Honorary Secretary of the Farnworth and Kersley Relief Committee during the cotton famine of 1863,4 and 5.
The cotton famine was a bi-product of the American Civil War when the export of raw cotton to England practically ceased.
Eighty per cent of raw cotton came from the United States. This caused huge problems in the Lancashire cotton mill towns during those years, throwing tens of thousands out of work and bringing the cotton mills to a standstill.
In an attempt to help the jobless cotton workers each town set up it's own Relief Committee collecting donations from those still in work at the coal mines and paper mills etc., These funds were then distributed amongst those most in need.
As the American Civil War drew to a close, raw cotton once again began to arrive at the Liverpool Docks and the cotton mill towns of Lancashire went back to work.
The solid 18K case has the hallmarks for Chester 1863/4. The watch is a centre seconds fuse movement inscribed Henry Whittington 29 King Street, Manchester.

Posts: 134 | Location: Blackpool, England | Registered: February 04, 2010
posted
The movement.

posted
The inscription.

posted
I visited the local museum and discovered that there was a copy of a 14 page pamphlet that had been produced to celebrate the occasion, and they kindly gave me a typed copy of page 10 of the pamphlet describing the actual presentation.

IHC Member 1357
posted
Very nice,Peter!To bad the purse full of gold did not come with it Frown
Regards
Roger

Posts: 4088 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
From the wear on the bow, it's apparent it lived its life in a pocket rather than remaining in a box and a drawer. A real presentation watch that was proudly carried rather than a dusty unused award!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
I love watches with a living history to them, this is one of them, congratulations on finding such a treasure.

Regards, Werner

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009