Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

C.H. Meylan Pocket Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
David Freeman advised us to "use [this forum] or lose it," so here goes.

I collect C.H. Meylan pocket watches. I am trying to classify this maker's various grades and styles. If you own any, please help me by posting a picture of the movement, and if at all possible, a picture of the pillar plate under the dial. Ideally, you would also give me as much of the following information as you can:

1. Serial number
2. Pillar plate diameter in mm/movement thickness in mm
3. Number of adjustments
4. Regulator type
5. Jewel count
6. Number of screwed down jewel settings
7. Presence of Geneva stop works
8. Presence of raised tooth escape wheel
9. Number of gold wheels in train
10.Presence of counterpoise lever
11.Description of any "complications"
12.Any other interesting information.

To get the ball rolling, I am attaching a picture of a Meylan minute repeater with a rattrapante and register,a perpetual calendar, and moon phase. Jones and Horan sold this (not to me) in 2005 for $42,000. If you have one of these lying around and don't mind pulling off the dial to photograph the pillar plate, that would be great, but less complicated Meylans are my main interest.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
I don't have enough knowledge of Meylans to make this call but I have been told by people who should know that this indeed is one.

There are no manufacturer's marking on the movement or dial (that I can find). It is SN 4659 and a split-second chronograph in good working order. The dial is perfect but unmarked. The case is 18K in excellent condition.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Watch front

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Peter, I had already included your watches in my classification memo, your watch definitely is a Meylan. If you need any parts for it, let me know. I have an identical base metal cased Meylan that does not have the original case or a working rattrapante -- although it keeps good time -- which I will be selling soon. If you need any rattrapante parts, speak up.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005