• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longines Chronograph "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone identify this watch. It has been suggested that the model is a 19.73, where the 19 is the lignes. It is the age I am wondering about. The watch was brought into the USA in the thirties by a doctor fleeing Nazi Germany.

The movement has no serial number, however I have been told that since Longines cased this watch that the case serial number (1368584) is the serial number.

The balance appears to be uncut, and mono-metallic, and the hair spring is white.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
movement.

posted
I am adding a better? photo of the movement. The dark strips are caused by light reflection.

posted
It is the 19.73 movement Jerry. Serial # looks to be consistant as well, 1899-1900.
I believe the 19.73 was first made in 1895.

You can email the serial number to Longines and they will email you back the production and sales information from the handwritten registers

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Ray:

I am awaiting a reply from Longines. A search of the internet reveals that the 19.73 was introduced in 1909, and a second version in 1922. With a white metal hairspring and an uncut mono-metallic balance wheel, the 1922 version would seem to make sense.

Jerry

posted
I just received an e-mail from Longines. They indentify the movement as a 19.73 chronograph movement cased in an 18K case and produced in 1903.

The dates I picked up from my search are obviously wrong.

posted
i have several Longines movements and find the serial number is usually under the dial.Don't know if they are all that way or not.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Wow that was a quick reply from Longines Jerry, glad you have the correct information. Wow, that internet information on the 19.73 was way off as I had read or seen a picture of one dated to 1895.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006