Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Please help me "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Traci Lane
posted
I have a timepiece I cannot identify. It belonged to my grandpa. I believe he said it came out of a vehicle (he's always worked & owned a car dealership). The name on the watch face appears as follows: A L'Emeraude Lausanne It's an 8 days piece & says swiss made. I'm at a loss. I've tried books, jewelers, & now the internet. Please help me...ANY reply would be so greatly appreciated. Smile

stormy79

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana in the United States | Registered: January 03, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Traci,

WELCOME to our IHC185 participation.

Sounds like what you have could turn out to be an early car clock. They were often clocks or watches originally intended for other uses adapted to automotive, airplane and boat use and it may have some sort of bracket or other attaching device. Foe example, the "dash-board" in early cars was literally a board, meaning a flat piece of wood to which accessories would be attached.

If you can post digital images that would help. For more about how that is done check this link... "How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks" ...and you can post an image along with text in as many posts as you like.

Your item overlaps both European Pocket Watches and Clocks so there should be additional information develop.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Traci Lane
posted
I'm having trouble getting good pictures but, I'll keep trying. Thanks.

stormy79

Posts: 10 | Location: Indiana in the United States | Registered: January 03, 2008
Picture of Traci Lane
posted
The back has what seems to be a number 15...I don't know how or if I should take the piece apart for photos... Confused

stormy79

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
without seeing the inside of the watch,it looks like an 8 day clock for a car or desk

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Traci Lane
posted
Thanks for your responses. Has anyone ever heard of this particular maker (A L'Emeraude Lausanne)? How can I find out more information or is it worth investigating? Should I take it apart & if so, how do I go about it without ruining the piece?

stormy79

posted
Traci,

This link will take you to the website which may be the company associated with your clock.
It began trading in 1909, and if you 'Google' the name, you will also bring up company records such as changes of directors / values of holdings etc.

They're actually retailers for such marques as Patek Phillipe etc and believe Tiffany's, rather than manufacturers, so we need a photo of the clock movement to determine a possible maker.

In view of the 'high end' watch associations of the company here, I think it's well worth a look!

Best regards

John

http://journal.hautehorlogerie.org/fr/echos/au-coeur-ma...zoom-4517-21800.html

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Good news for Traci. Big Grin

In Traci's picture it looks to me like a snap back.

Does anyone know for sure?

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
"L'Emeraude, Lausanne" was a Movado brand name, but I thank Sandoz made most of the car clocks. A picture of the movement would be most helpful.

Reid

Posts: 7 | Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 06, 2007