Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's THIS?! --- Irish Waltham? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In a "trade" with a Canadian, he threw in what looked to me to be an old (S/N207062) Waltham 10-12s Pin Set Stem winder. But the Signature: "Cahoon Bros., Donegal Place, Belfast" threw me for a loop. How about an expert opinion on what this is.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Very PLain Dial

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nice Silver Case

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi David, I am no expert on Walthams. I checked the serial number data base that we can access in the technical library. I ran your serial number and it came up with this

Start: 2/1/1866 End: 3/31/1866
First: 207001 Last: 208000
Model: 1857 Name: Wm Ellery
Material: A Grade: P.S.B., Wm.E.
Size: 18 Size: 18
Plate: FP Plate: NL
Jewelling: Plain Jewels: 7-15
Balance: Steel Bal Bal: Steel
Style: KW Style:
NL

Comment:
Source: HD Date:
12/1/2002

It will be interesting to see what the Waltham guys have to say about your watch Smile

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This is definitely NOT a Waltham product. I believe it is an English make. The hairspring stud and regulator are typical of some other English watches that I have seen.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is clearly NOT Waltham, I am sure, and it appears to use a straight line pointed tooth lever escapement with 16 - 19 Jewels. As many as 5 pairs of pivot jewels, 3 pairs of cap Jewels, roller jewel, and 2 escapement jewels.

Now That I found it again in my "stuff" and as it appears to be in very good condition, I will make it all better next week and see what it has "in it" as far as a timekeeper goes.
WHAT A NAME! Cahoon Brother's! I love it!