Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Is this "Patek Phillipe & Co Geneva" correct? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Some folks in Georgia sent us these interesting images.

This watch is a family heirloom of theirs and they would like to know all they can about it including some idea of value. So look over the images that follow and let us know what you see here, your assistance and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Smile

This dial looks like those on many other Swiss watches...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Outside, one of those nearly impossible to read fancy monograms on the front and what I would perceive to be a coat-of-arms on the back with "Duris Non Francor" beneath. Now this is where I realize we're going to need help in sorting it all out. Wink

Interesting engraving on both front and back of the case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Moving to the cuvette we find "No. 34449 and George W. Webb Baltimore" inscribed along with (drum-roll) the "Patek Phillipe & Co Geneva" name around outer edge. Number 34449 appears on each of the case components.

So now, the investigation becomes even more interesting...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

The case has 18K markings and there is a heavy look to it...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

And finally, let us know what you all think of the movement...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

There is plenty to look at on this one let's hear your thoughts!

Wink

posted
Straight as an arrow, many Patek Philippes were cased this way with unsigned dials, usually in the earlier serial numbers, the case number usually matches the movement number which you can get by pulling the dial. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
I am not so sure. Patek usually marks their movments. Why is the dial blank. If Webb is the jeweller, why no name on dial or movement? Also, that is not the way Patek puts it's name on cases. I would not pay Patek prices for this watch.

Posts: 767 | Location: Los Osos, California USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
I have had many Pateks, The early ones were unsigned dial and movement and usually signed cuvette like this one or the Patek signature in Script in the middle. Patek most certainly did not sign all their dials and movements, as I said I have had many like this one, all original. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
I have an unsigned Patek as well. It's been recased and the only serial number is on the perimeter of the movement. It was probably originally in a gold case that was melted down. The movement has some Patek hallmarks like the wolf's tooth winding and gold jewel jewel holding cap on the escape wheel. There's almost certainly a serial number under the dial or on the perimeter (sometimes scratched lightly in) and you can compare to the list in Shugart's guide to check the approximate date. Nice watch!!

Reid

Posts: 7 | Location: Lansdale, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 06, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Everyone!

The owner of this watch sent has us a behind the dial movement image which is attached below. From the looks of it I see the confirmation of number 34449 as found on the case. Number 2442 is also around the edge. Anyone know if that signifies a date or model number? You comments and observations are welcome.

Checking the "Complete Guide to Watches" 2008 Edition, Page 536 this one is evidently from around the 1870 time-frame. Values there on Page 538 apparently reflect a $1,500 to $2,700.00 price range. I do not know if that is realistic so any further estimation of approximate value would be greatly appreciated.

Lindell

It looks like we find 34449 stamped under the dial as well...

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi lindell hows your cold? thats a nice patek its so hard to get info on them. i would place the value a little higher then that i find that book to be somewhat low on there patek prices. i think the hunter case raises the price a good bit too.

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Jim,

The "flu" is tough to shake in our climate, not an easy time for us.

About your estimate, you are probably right. In fact the 18K case is most likely worth the "low-book" or more all by itself. With gold at record highs gold cases will increasingly be premium items in the years to come!

Lindell

Wink