Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Posted a new makers mark photo above

BUMP

Sheila

posted
I do not recognize the logo, but I do recognize the name Maiden Lane.

If you look at the Bulletin October, 2005 you will see an article on Hayden Wheeler. He was located on 2 Maiden Lane and Broadway, NY City. There was (and is) a high concentration of jewelers on Maiden Lane. The building at 2 Maiden lane is now 174 Broadway and still houses William Barthman-Jewelers and Goldman, Sachs and Co.

Also see http://www.downtownexpress.com.../amaidenmovefor.html

and

http://www.lowermanhattan.info...wn_gems__a_96119.asp

Seth Thomas made a famous 18 size movement call Maiden Lane. I do not know if they used the same name on a smaller watch.

So, I don't think I made anything clearer for you.

I assume we are looking at a Swiss watch made for a jeweler on Maiden Lane.

Don

Posts: 173 | Location: Columbia, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: July 13, 2004
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Hello Don,
Welcome to IHC 185. Your expertise in Horology will be very helpful to our membership.

Your outstanding service as a volunteer is always appreciated.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
posted
Donald,
Thank you, I love information on Maiden Lane, I collect it myself, and I just loved reading the links. I have some old papers with watch ads in them and the emphasis is really on Maiden Lane, and who was a dealer there. I always look for new (Old) dealers that I don't have yet.

Thanks again, the links are a nice addition.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
The Seth Thomas "Maiden Lane" was only made in the 18 size open face Model 5. To be a true "Maiden Lane" it must be engraved on the movement plate itself.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
E. Howard & Co.'s NY Office was located at #2 Maiden Lane. See, for example the business card Cort shows on another thread.

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003
posted
Ed,
From all the posts about the Maiden Lane I knew that this one was NOT a Seth Thomas Maiden Lane, but I was curious enough to pick this one up to try to find out who made it. Because it's marked Maiden Lane on the plate, I thought it may be an English made watch, since it looks foreign, and that their's a Maiden Lane in England also known for it's jewelry. The dial is marked ML for Maiden Lane. I'll post a picture of it later today so you can see it.

Clint, thank you, I missed that one.

Sheila

posted
Does this dial look like any foreigh dial you know?
Sorry for the bad photo.

The dial says ML for Maiden Lane like on the movement.

Sheila

Maiden Lane-201W

posted
Hi Sheila,
Have you had any luck finding out who the maker is of the Harp shaped marking? I have 2 watches with the same marking and would be interested in who made them. Both are approximately 18 size and are very similar to each other. I will have to compress the picture in order to post it (it was too large). Thanks, Tom

Posts: 9 | Location: Southwestern USA | Registered: May 19, 2006
posted
Hello Sheila

Just to jump in and muddy the waters a bit I have a Swiss? style movement nearly identical to yours except for the stepped plate. It is stamped with a harp ( Lyre ?) Hallmark but inside a shield and bracketed by the initials J G. The dial which also looks nearly identical is signed Continental W Co as is the movement which is numbered 36490. There are no other markings save for an "H" stamped near the lever under the dial.

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
And

Posts: 110 | Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana U.S.of A. | Registered: April 29, 2006
posted
Last of three

posted
Oh and in case you do not have this one, 51 Maiden Lane

posted
Here's a pic of one of the movements I was referring to. Tom

posted
Here's a pic of the other movement. Tom

posted
Tom,
I have been looking and No, I have not found anything yet. I have not finished though, and still have several other places where I can look.
I'll let you know when I find something. Thank you for the pictures, nice to know I'm not the only one that has them.

Anthony,
Your harp inside the other shape sure looks a lot like mine! Thank you for the pictures. Really nice Ad! Thank you for sharing with me."And the list goes on"

Sheila

posted
You are welcome, I spent many a fond hour stuck in traffic on Maiden lane when I was lived
in the city. If you are looking for data there are NYC city directories going back to at least the 1840's available which listed businesses by address and then name which should tell you the names of most of the jewelers on Maiden Lane and maybe even the address of the Maiden Lane Watch Co if it existed as a separate entity. If your library had a genealogy department they should have copies or be able to borrow them.

posted
Anthony,
Thank you!
I just received a copy of Maiden Lane The Story of a Single Street and it has tons of information in it about who was there and when. Really early too. I've been collecting the companies and their address for a while now and the list is getting bigger and bigger all the time. I love getting Ads that show the stores, so thank you again.

I'm going to share a really neet piece from the book in a post on the Pocket Watch board later today, keep your eyes open for it. I think you will like it.

Sheila

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Anthony - your Continental movement is our Rosetta Stone. The mark on yours is identical to the third mark shown in an article by Kathleen Pritchard in the October 1979 Bulletin -- the mark belongs to Julien Gallet. Your dial marking is also a match to the second trademark. The strong similarity between yours and Sheila's movements tells me that hers is just an earlier (based on serial number) form of the symbol and is also finished by Julien Gallet. Tom Rankin's movement would also have been finished by Gallet.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Sheila

I enjoy all history and NYC does has a lot of it. I look forward to seeing that you have found. You will love the old 1800's city directories ,they are like the yellow pages but without the phone numbers and go into great detail. Merchants often ran advertisements on their pages as well. Both the NY Public Library and the NYC Archives have photo archives ,there is not a street or building in the city that does not have at least one photo on file and often many in one of them.

Jerry

Terrific! I am happy to have added a little to the puzzle. Sheila's Maiden Lane movement looked so familiar to me I went searching to see if mine had that hallmark . It was not even very far from Maiden Lane in NYC where I bought it, at flea market on Canal St years ago ,one of my favorite watch and clock hunting grounds.