• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ladies Chatelaine Watches "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've quite a few of these watches in my collection, and they never fail to amaze me with the incredible amount of skill that went into the case engraving.

Although not so popular a few years ago, these small and beautiful watches are now becoming more and more sought after by collectors - Especially when they're running!

They are more commonly found with Cylinder escapement movements fitted, so to find one with a Swiss lever escapement generally suggests a better quality watch altogether.

The movement generally appears to have been secondary to the purpose of the case and dial, which were more of The fashion statement than the bit that actually 'ticked'.

Although found in greater numbers in Silver cases of both Sterling and 'Coin' Grades, plus Gunmetal, many are to be found in Solid Gold of various Grades and Two tone .... but less affordable.

The watches were usually worn (in the UK anyway) on a 'Chatelaine', or 'Albertina' type chain.

The Chatelaine would also carry other 'accoutrements' such as keys, pencils, button hooks (for gloves), sewing items and other items necessary to a lady of the late C19th ........ although my Mother remembers both her Grandmothers using Chatelaines into the 1940's.

The Albertina was a decorative chain to enable the wearer to use the watch on a coat or blouse etc.
The bigger and chunkier version worn by Men being the 'Albert'........ no surprises there then .........

I've quite a collection of these watches, which I'll drip feed onto the topic as I unearth watches and photgraph tem.

If anyone reading has any of these types, please post them for us to see.

Best regards

John

Chatelaine Watch1

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Case Back.
JW.

Case Back

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Movement.
JW.

Movement

posted
Dial.
JW.

Dial

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
John

Very nice. The movement is near identical to the one in my Watch that I posted on the Europe list under H.E. Peck London. Is this movement style typical for swiss watches? Do you have a year on this one?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
posted
Thanks Bruce,

I would say the movements are typical of 'Jewelled' 3/4 plate Swiss cylinder movements of that era.
Most of these were only jewelled on the bridges and cocks though, and rarely on the dial plate.

Better quality Swiss lever types often got jewels on the dial plate too, but they're a whole different league really.

Many similar 3/4 plate types were only jewelled to the balance too, so it's always best to look closely at the pivot holes

I'd put them around the 1890's, give or take a decade.
It's easier with a hallmark with a date letter, but most of these Swiss imports didn't have them.

John.

Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Hi John

The year would be close to where I believe the Peck watch is. It has the same style case.Yours is much more ornate. What is the term for the push button on the stem that opens the case?

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
posted
Bruce, the only thing I've ever known that button on the pendant called, is a 'Pusher'
Don't know if anyone else has a term for it?

Must admit I've given them a few other choice 'monica's' when the blessed things get jammed and won't come out! Wink

John

posted
Another one of my 'Chatelaine' watches.

Again, a nicely chased case, but with a plain white enamel dial.
This case also has an additional 'nail catch' for flipping open the bezel as well as the pusher on the pendant for opening the back cover.

As is often the case with this type watch, it's kitted out with the ubiquitous Swiss Cylinder movement.

John.

Swiss Chatelaine Watch

posted
Case Back shot, case enjoys an unadorned central cartouche!
Interestingly on this watch, the bow is cloaked in a Silver foil rather than solid silver being used as is the norm.

JW.

Case Back

posted
All covers open!

JWW.

Open case.

posted
Movement Shot.

Swiss Cylinder Escapement, Key Wound & Set.

JW.

Escapement

posted
Another shot showing some of the case engraving detail.

JW.

Case detail

posted
Plain inner dust cover.
Case all marked up with (London) Swiss import marks for 0.800 grade silver.

JW.

Dust Cover