Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual Newer Audemars Piguet Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I generally keep my acquisitions to myself (perhaps I make too many mistakes), but I thought some of you would enjoy seeing an unusual basket weave 18k Audemars Piguet pocket watch from the 1970's or 1980's that I recently acquired. The watch is 50mm wide by, well, quite narrow, and unusual to say the least.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
The dial.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Basket weave

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Movement

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Ethan
The workmenship is terrific.

I still have a tough time trying to accept the fact that many of these modern watches are "pocket watches". It seems that most of the remaining manufacturers are taking the easy way out and putting their wrist watch movements in an oversized case.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I agree that the movement appears to have been designed for a wristwatch, but I like the unusual, and this watch is uncommon.

posted
Very Nice. Known as a 'Purse Watch' or 'Pocket Piece' similar to the watch Audemars encased in a $20 gold piece.

Posts: 3 | Location: Beverly Hills, California USA | Registered: April 18, 2007