• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help Date and Id english fusee pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was looking and ended up the owner of a fusee pocket watch , with a broken chain but a good balance , and it looks like a diamond end stone , could I get some help on date of this watch . The name on it is M N Wheatley of new castle on the tyne , I guess it's an e-bauche ?thanks Kevin

Posts: 1574 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: June 04, 2015
posted
dial is nice although hands are broken

posted
the case may tell the date , with a lion on top , under it is G.J.O , on the left is an unreadable shield? to the right is a capital old english M

posted
unfortunately I did not find MN Wheatley, only William ,in 1893/9, maybe he was the son ?. The case with the hallmark of London and the date is 1867.
hope this help enrico

Posts: 25 | Location: Torino in Italy | Registered: January 28, 2014
posted
Thank you Enrico , would this watch style have been in use in 1867 ? or does it look newer ?

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Kevin, there was a "Wheatley & Dove" a going concern during 1877, situated on "Scotswood Road", "Newcastle upon Tyne", I would say this will be your man or menSmile

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
it was made in the coventry area, here an article by David Boettcher on English watchmaking.

http://www.vintagewatchstraps....glishwatchmaking.php

regards enrico

IHC Member 2030
posted
Good article, thanks.
Here is another site
Watch
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
posted
Thanks Mike and enrico , I took the watch apart it is only the barrel hook is missing , the chain should still be long enough ,the rest is pristine , I am really impressed at the workmanship. So it needs a chain or repair , a crystal and hands , the case has a couple dings . I am not sure whether I am keeping it , it is an oddball in my collection.

posted
Well I just had to fiddle , i saw a video on servicing a fusee and went to work , this is a lever escapement so it was not to different than a regular watch , just pins instaed of screws
, it did have a broken pivot for the pallet , although it is working , I was able to pin the chain to the barrell , the only item that seems off is the fusee cone , it seems to slip some, I took it apart and it has some wear to the teeth , like it was wound wrong , but after cleaning it seems to hold a wind . I have a feeling all these problems occurred by the last person to take it apart, it looks like they put a mainspring in , but the pallet pivot is a dead give away. I will set this to the side maybe a nice winter project or parts movement, it is running but these other items need attention

posted
the breakup of the pivot of the pallet is an inexperience of whom has opened the movement, provoking the breakup of the pivot, it is a frequent breakup. as the usury of the fusée. sometimes succeeds crushing the teeth of the click spring inside the fusée
regards enrico