• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Centre Second Stop Mechanism "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I'm working on two identical Stewart Dawson centre second watches with stop functions. One case is hallmarked for 1889 and the other 1896.

I'm used to stop second wires that operate on the roller table but these (both broken) appear to have operated on the third wheel.

The wires go between the plates and the lever is in line with the third wheel. It would be almost impossible for it to reach the roller table since foot of the balance cock is in the way. I suppose it would be just possible with some ridiculously complicated bending but, if the wire subsequently bent by the slightest amount, it would foul on the cock or the third wheel.

I've seen plenty of movements that have overcome this problem by running the wire under the plate and bringing it up alongside the roller plate but never where it acts directly on third wheel.

Has anyone else come across this?

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008