• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ulysse Nardine Pin Set pocket watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
A good buddy I use to work with gave me this watch for a retirement gift.I got a few watches just given to me.Well this is a Ulysse Nardine pin set pocket watch.Was originaly sold by Savage Lyman & Co. Montreal Canada.The case is made out of Fine Silver.If any one can tell me more about it jewel count may be the year made my guess would be 1890?here the serial no.4707.And any body know were I could get a matching minute hand then this watch would be realy sharp.

I had this watch serviced and the crystal replaced but I could not locate a hand.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Mike,
Very nice, valuable watch..Nice retirement gift! I'm sure someone with more expertise will be along soon. Looks like a very nice watch. My guess 1870's due to the wolfs teeth winding wheels.

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Ray
I also noticed that you can see were keys can go one on the gear and one in the middle so you mite be right it's older than I thought.I was looking for info found this cool Nardine you tube vido on a minute repeater.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0niMaTbuM&NR=1

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
posted
Mike

Sure nice watch !

I like those great watches in the lesser cases.

I think there is no production or serial number chart from Ulysse Nardin available but yur watch can very well be dated. Put the cart before the horse:

"Savage and Lyman" became "Savage Lyman & Co" in 1868 and failed 1879. This matches the appearanace of the watch. For the second question; the watch has 15 jewels.

Thank you for the video-link.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Here is what I found on Savage Lyman & co they sold mainly things made of silver like tea set's,silverware and I guess watches and that is proberly why it's in a silver case than gold.The web site I found this info Gerald had some differnt date's but close to what you said they said they were around from 1850-1878 they were on James street if I remembers what I read.Here is a link of a print of what the store looked like inside.
http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca...ang=1&imageID=141082
Gerald thanks for the info.

posted
Mike

I made a longer story short and took only the essence for the watch, here is a longer version:

G(eorge) Savage (1767 - 1855), Born in Huddersfield, England was an able watchmaker. He established his business in Canada c. 1818. Around 1823 he had a large stock of English key wind watches and was supplied of spoons by Peter Bohle.

c.1840-1850 Savage George & Son: Partnership of George Savage and his eldest son Joseph Savage. The firm retailed silverware.

c.1850- 1867 Savage & Lyman: Partnership of Joseph Savage and his brother-in-law Theodore Lyman; branch of the firm in Toronto.

c.1867-1878 Savage Lyman & Co: Joseph Savage and Theodore Lyman were joined as partners by Henry Birks and Chas. Hagar. Montreal, Quebec. In 1878 the firm went into bankruptcy. Henry Birks remained as manager while the assets were liquidated.

In all four periods they had different signatures and hallmarks and the watch with the Savage Lyman & Co marking on the dust cover was sold 1867 - 1878.

Regards,
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Gerarld
Thanks again for more info and have a nice Christmas.Gerald would you know how hard it would be to locate a whip minute hand I saw a few Nardines in a few books I had and that's the type of hand that went on these for the minute hand.

posted
Here is what the proper minute hand should look like it's what called a whip type hand this is a photo out of a book I have.May be at the next meeting I will find a replacement hand that looks right.

posted
A good friend of mine at the last NAWCC meeting helped me out with a hand.I showed him the watch and told him I was looking for a whip hand for it.He said he mite have one at home.So after the meeting I went over his house he has a good shop set up for working on watches wish I had that set up.Well he went through his hands and found a match.He showed me how to size it there is a holder you put the hand in and you use a pounch to make it a little bigger so it fit's.Here is a photo of the watch it looks close to the above photo of a Ulysse Nardine with the right hand.What do you forum member's think.