Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gents or Ladies? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I wonder if anyone can advise on this one

It's from about 1915 (I think!) and I quite like the general look but think the slim strap gives it a 'feminine' feel, what do you think

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
posted
The mvmnt

TJP

Posts: 83 | Location: Sleepy Sussex, United Kingdom | Registered: February 14, 2008
posted
Nice watch Terry,

These are commonly described as 'Trench Watches' on eBay - even when most of them probably never went near one!

The most sought after size seems to be anything in excess of 30mm diameter (without the crown)- the bigger the better in fact.

Generally these were (are?) worn on a full width leather strap (band) which has a thinner band running through it, and which would have gone through the wire lugs and Under the case - they look much more 'butch' worn that way!

Your watch is an early Rolex, and if you pull the dial, will probably find the movement marked Rebberg, the ebauche maker used by Wilsdorf and Davis (Rolex founders), but you could be lucky and find Rolex!.

Other movements used were Unicorn and Marconi to name a couple, so you may find those names instead, but Rebberg is the most common.

Check the hallmarks on the back cover, it will probably be marked as imported silver and stamped 'GS' which is the importer 'George Stockwell', which would date it somewhere between 1910 and 1918 from memory - give or take a year or so.
The 'Red 12' puts it in that era anyway.

If it really is your lucky day, the case may even be stamped 'W&D', which is for 'Wilsdorf & Davis' - again the Rolex founders!
There should also be a silver assay mark, most likely .925 or .935 which is for Sterling Silver.

A very collectable and valuable watch!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John

Once again I am staggered with the depth of knowledge to be found in this 'club', it's fantastic!

The watch was bought new by Bobbie's uncle and spent almost 50 years or so in Australia until he passed away a few years back when it passed to her. She will be absolutely delighted with your thoughts, I've checked the case back and as you say it has the mark 'W&D' and assay mark .925 and a letter 'Q'. Will get one of those 'butch' straps you mention and may even wear it myself occasionally.

Thanks again, all the best

Terry

TJP

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Terry,
Really nice watch! Congratulations!

Oh, and there is also a W&D listed in Plainsville Mass and it stands for Whiting & Davis!!!
They are workers in Sterling too!

see how so many things can get confused.

Terry, make sure you stick to John's version, because my information is not correct for your watch. It's just that I have read a lot of places where people mistake the cases, and thought you should know the true reference, and why you may find some others that are confused about it.

If you can get a photo of the letter Q on the case, and any other marks, we may be able to give you a good date.

Again, really nice watch!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Hi Sheila

Thanks for your comments, unfortunately am unable to send photos as I am just back from leaving the watch with the watchmaker following John's advise earlier, clean/adjust and get rid of 'girly' strap.
So will send photos of 'Q' in few weeks when I get it back

John

Bobbie completely thrilled with verdict

Best wishes

Terry

TJP

posted
Just remebered, I have some photos which I took earlier, I know, I am constantly reminded hoe 'forgetful' I can be !! Roll Eyes
Big Grin Big Grin
Best

Terry

TJP

posted
Sheila

To save confusion the 'Q' is a 'U', now, where did I leave my specs

TJP

posted
Terry, I think I'll let you buy my lottery tickets Big Grin Big Grin

What a provenance eh, looks like the full Monty - W & D And Rolex stamped in the case back!!

Case is imported silver and the hallmark looks like 1915

Shiela, thanks for the info on Whiting and Davis, was unaware of that.
Wilsdorf and Davis did split up, so wonder if it's the same Davis?
Can't remember right now what happened in the split and who kept Rolex and who didn't or who went where.

Just done a 200 mile round trip to get a filling fixed, so I'm too brain dead right now to check - anyone feel like Googling Wilsdorf and Davis for us?

BTW, get your watchmaker to note all the markings on the movement, it'd be a killer hand if that was stamped Rolex too!

Best regards

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John, I think I may pop out and get a few tickets. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Will certainly ask the watchmaker to see what's under the dial. Looked at W&D on the net, Hans Wilsdorf was in fact German by birth, unfortunately orphaned at the age of 12 but managed to complete his schooling and started working at 19. The rest is legendary and the success of the brand says a lot about the man. he died in 1960 as sole owner of Rolex which today is still run/owned by a Trust he set up which makes regular contributions to various charities.
Funny how things turn out, my watchmaker was apprenticed to Rolex and spent 25 years employed by them in London. He liked the watch also

Hope you are over the 'filling', hate the dentist myself

All the best

Terry

TJP

posted
Hi Terry,
welcome to the IHC. Big Grin

Very nice watch.

If you go to the Wristwatch Forum topic "Which Wristwatch did you wear today"
then go to page 29 you'll see a similar styled wristwatch to the one you listed.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
posted
Hi Dave

Took a look, now that's a NICE watch, isn't it great how much you can learn, I find it absolutely fascinating, not just the pleasure of owning these wonderful things but it encompasses so many other things, like history, innovation. Bloomin' marvellous as we would say over here.

Do you miss Scotland Wink

Best regards

Terry

TJP

posted
Terry,

actually my wife and I are going to Scotland in a month or so for a three week stay.
We're going to visit her elderly parents who've recently moved out of their home
into sheltered living. I'm bracing myself for the shock in prices. Eek

Do I miss Scotland, well I guess we all have an attachment to where we grew up,
the biggest things I miss are the British sweeties (for U.S. readers this means candies Big Grin )

Having lived in the U.S. for forty years, our kids are here and our
grand kids are here, our lives are here.

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
Dave

Hope you have a great trip 'back home', and don't forget to stock up on the sweeties. Roll Eyes You might even stumble across something really interesting watchwise, but I know what you are saying about the prices over here.

Take care and all the best

Terry

TJP

posted
Talk about the luck of the Gods Terry, a tame Rolex trained watch repair man to take care of it too ........... Cool better quit while you're ahead Big Grin

Toothache's gone now thanks, Moral; disolve sea salt in water before adding to bread dough mix! I chomped on a grain and trashed a Wisdom tooth!

We treat our dentist like a God because we don't have any here, hence the 200 mile round trip back to the City we moved from! Roll Eyes

Apologies too Dave, never occurred to me for a moment this topic ought to be in the Wristwatch forum!
Nice Watch too!

Think you'll find Gas prices a big shock when you get over here! £1.12p per Litre now for Super and 1.08 per litre for unleaded and Deisel!
Better hire a small car, those Scottish hills make 'em slurp the juice pdq! Big Grin

BTW, I've dug out a boatload of vintage Timex's, some with Scottish movements, I'll stick some pic's in the WW forum for you to pore over.

John

posted
Just to comment on John's gas prices in the U.K.
There are 3.7 litres in a U.S. Gallon. Which means
unleaded gas(petrol)is costing the equivalent of $8.10
per U.S. gallon in the U.K.

Eek Eek Confused Mad

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

posted
John
Glad to hear the toothache is a thing of the past, make your own bread eh, how on earth do you find the time!!!. you could probably give good advice on 'TIME' management as well as your valued comments on my watches.(apologies for the very fragile pun Smile, 'time'......watches/clocks, geddit!. Roll Eyes

Anyhow more apologies for posting in the wrong forum, I am very new to this so please bear with me, it will eventually sink in Razz

Will look out for the 'Scottish Timex's, did'nt know Timex were connected with Scotland, but that's the value of this forum.....education, in fact my learning curve is vertical right now! Smile

Dave

Please don't be put off by the price of petrol here in the UK, EVERYTHING here is more expensive than in the States but according to our illustrious Prime Minister ( who is a Scot by the way) we are conributing to the issue of global warming Eek.......... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Frown

TJP

posted
Hi again Terry,

What a beauty, "half your luck mate!", dunno what that means but we say it all the time over here.

I've got what appears to be exactly the same movement although in a bog standard, unmarked nickel cushion case. Mine's marked 'Rebberg Depose" under the dial but, unfortunately, has everything except the staff. The serial number under the dial is 8814, it's an Australian watch so perhaps they came in the same batch?

If you're putting the watch into your Rolex man I wonder if you could ask him what staff it takes? I've had mine for a year or so now and would love to have it up and running.

All the best,

Dick

Posts: 57 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: January 27, 2008
posted
Hi Dick

sorry for delay but just read your post, will ask the w/m about the staff and get back to you

Best regards

Terry

TJP