• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hello...and help me identify this pocket watch. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Howdy from TX! I am an amateur watch enthusiast and watch repairer (battery replacer...lol) and sometimes seller on ebay. I like to check out antique/junk shops for interesting timepieces for re-sale or just to collect.

That being said, I am having a heck of a time determining the maker of this pocket watch. Here are some things I have noticed about the watch:

It is a wind-up.

White face, roman numeral dial with a seconds sub-dial at the 6 o'clock position. Numbers outside each roman numeral in increments of 5 all the way to 60.

The outside case-back has an engraved scene with a bird in rose-gold flying above a rose-gold nest.

The crown also appears to be rose-gold.

There is a fob(?), not sure if is original to the watch.

It appears to be silver (there is an 0800 stamp inside the first & second case-back, which someone indicated means 80% silver).

There is also stamped "S+P" inside the case-back as well as the movement. The "+" is a thick cross, which appears to be of a Swiss origin.

It has a second case-back, which also has the "0800" stamped in it.

Also inside of the case-back is a woman's name with the date 1891 engraved.

The movement, in addition to having "S+P" stamped on it, has "243" stamped directly below it.

The OD (side to side) is about 33mm.

Posts: 8 | Location: East Texas in the USA | Registered: January 11, 2013
posted
Some more pics:

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Swiss made pocket watch in nice silver case
its hard to get the manufacturer from swiss watches
is the watch running?

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Yes...I guess I left out the most important part...lol. It runs fine.

posted
great working watch in nice silver case you got a winner they are not big money maker but you can get around $45-55 on ebay and who knows perhaps more
with out the chain.

posted
Thanks. I paid $25 for it, 3 Seikos, a Citizen Blue Angels Eco, a ladies wind-up Bulova, a ladies Armitron and a few other fashion watches...also a Gucci and a Tag...but I believe they are fakes.

Anyhow...most of them worked after I replaced the batteries. I enjoy working on them and maybe I can make a few bucks to buy some more!

Any idea what the "243" on the movement indicates? Is that a patent or model number?

posted
no clue
I collect seikos but the manual wind show some
pictures please

posted
peter, side issue, need any nos seiko auto movements???

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
While taking more photos inside of the case back, I discovered what I think is a trademark. I have tried taking photos, but it is too small for my camera to pick up. I can see it fairly clearly under a loupe...it is in a Chevron shape and has a bird inside...maybe a turkey, quail, pheasant, peacock or chukar?

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Sounds like a Swiss silver hallmark, it might be a grouse, it would represent .800 silver.

Does it look similar to this one?

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
BINGO...that is it! Do you have any additional information? Does it identify the maker? Thanks!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The mark is the silver content mark that was required by the Swiss government. All cases made there were required to be marked to show how much precious metal they contained.

So unfortunately it does not help to identify the case maker. Normally the casemakers marks would be a set of initials stamped into the case.

Also most watchmakers did not also make their own cases, they bought there cases from a casemaker.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
I see. I really appreciate everyone's help. I have put this piece up for auction on ebay and will post the link after I check the rules again to see if that is allowed. Thanks again!

Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Steve, no problem just be sure to post it in the pitfalls forum.
oops, I see that you are not a member. You will have to become a member to post in that forum, we do not allow a link to a live Ebay auction in the forums that are open to the public.
You may follow this link to join.
Very easy and the best $12 you will ever spend.

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
Steve best $12 I ever spend.

posted
This Swiss pocket watch appears to have a cylinder type escapement, and these are virtually impossible to identify as to the original factory. It was made for export to an English speaking market (likely the UK) as the letters F and S (fast, slow) are by the regulator, and there is the stamp S P 243 meaning Swiss Patent. Anytime you see the cross mark that means Swiss (usually by the word "Brevet", which means "patented".

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
posted
Brevet No 243 was applied to Madame Veuve Jean Aegler in 1891. Its about the setting mechanism.

Regards
Gerald

Jean Aegler ad.

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009