Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about a Dorit "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have one question about this watch.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Why does it have a white balance spring?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
I stopped the balance to take a picture, and it appears to be a solid wheel.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Steve

What is the word inder the balance wheel? I can't make it out.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
It says "Brevet."

posted
It definitely has a mono metalic balance wheel. The screws are brass, I think.

posted
Hi Steve.

I started seeing white hairspings on PWs built during the 2nd WW, and I have just got a Waltham Premier of ca. 1948 in that fashion. On the war-built the reason is simple, cost, they saved the blueing operation. I do not know if this applies to your nice PW, bat it's as far as I can go.

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
Thanks Mario. That is interesting. It probably dates to the '30s or '40s then.

Steve G.

posted
I think this regulator spring looks like a Zenith, minus the little circular thing-a-ma-jig, but the plate design looks more like an Omega.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I don't know if this will be of any help.

In "United States Horological Trademark Index" page 416 Strasburger, Louis & Co. NYC had a patent on P.H. Doret, Locle for watches issued 06/01/1875.

There was a also a patent issued to Alfred Sandoz, Philipe Henri Matthey Doret for a solar watch 06/25/1853

There was a Paul Matthey-Doret, Locle, that made chronographs & repeaters.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
That is very interesting. This watch certainly isn't that old, but the company/family name goes back a long ways. Thanks, Tom.

Steve G.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I think Marios point is well taken. At first Elinvar type hairsprings were "blued" so that watchmakers and others would accept them as hairsprings were generally blued. Once the alloy hairsprings were accepted in the 1930's the unnecessary bluing was dropped and WWII hastened it along as I understand it. Nice watch.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009