Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Thomas Russell with Original BOX!!!! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Hi, look what I picked up!

DESCRIPTION:
A Thos. Russell, Liverpool, pocket watch, with 17 jewel movement, in good condition and good working order. The watch is complete with its Thos. Russell signed box (very rare).

The case is marked as the 'Elgin Russell Model' and numbered 2900350. The rear lid hinge is a little worn but the lid still holds shut, otherwise the case is fine. The case is 50mm in diameter.

The enamel dial is in good condition and is marked for Thos. Russell. The hands look original. The bevelled glass has a small edge chip between the II and III positions.

The 17 jewel movement is in good condition and good working order. The back-plate is marked 'Thos. Russell & Son, LIVERPOOL' and is numbered '5823', it is also marked '17 Jewels' and 'Adjusted to 3 Positions'. The movement is stem wind and set, these work fine.

Great watch with makers box.

I found a guy named Pete and from the UK and he is going to send me all of the information (4 years worth) on the Thomas Russell Watch Company, and some of their watches!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to hear from him! I will post it when I get it, or he will be in and post it when he's finished the work on his home.
I sent him our URL, and hope he can share what he has with us.

Check out my new watch!

Sheila

Thomas Russell Boxed.jpg

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
The Dial

Sheila

Thomas Russell2.jpg

posted
Movement

Sheila

Thomas Russell mvmt.jpg

posted
This is the Elgin "Russell" case, that they made for the Thomas Russell movemant. (I think)

Thanks to all of you, I had enough information to pick this one up.

Sheila

Thomas Russell case.jpg

posted
Last

Sheila

Thomas Russell case2.jpg

posted
Super find Sheila, well done, never seen a Russell box before.
Movement looks a nice one, don't see too many of those with screwed in jewel holes, a better grade than usual.
Does it run well?

Looking forward to you sharing the Russell info with us, many thanks in advance for that.
Best regards
John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
posted
Hi John,
I forgot to post the descripton in the first post, sorry. I just won it right before I posted it, but the auction says it runs, so I will see when I get it. I thought it looked pretty good too, and I did indeed, notice the jewel screws.
I was real pleased that it had the authentic Russell box with it too.
I sure hope it turns out to be as nice a watch as I think it is. I'll let you know when I get the watch.

Sheila

posted
John,
I got the watch, and it's great! Seriously clean movement, RUNS good so far, and the Box, although kinda rough, isn't that bad. At least I have one.
It's mostly just dirty, and not really too worn out.
The case is pretty nice, but the Movement and Dial are Perfect. I'm very pleased with it.

Sheila

posted
That's great news Sheila, Enjoy it. Good to see a bit more interest in English/European watches on the boards for a change.

Having a big sort out of my spares & stuff at the moment, found about half a dozen Russell movements so far, only one with screwed in chatons though.

Most of it came from the estate of a long gone watchmaker, and the movements came from watches where the cases were scrapped for bullion, some movements have just been punched out with a hammer and chisel, enough to make you weep!
Will post some pic's (of the good ones) when I get them sorted.

Best regards

John.

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006