Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Identify My English Pocket Watch Please "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi to allfrom Mass.
I,m not a watch guy but this watch came to me and i would like to find out more about it to me its quite unusual i,m a clock guy.The dial says Jos. Johnson Liverpool.The dial measures 52mm and the movement measures 49mm and is marked Jos. Johnson Liverpool # 7356.The watch is rear wind and is front hand set.The case is hindged front and rear the bezel is hindged and the movement is hindged that makes four last count.Its runs and keeps great time.I have added some pictures of the case hope it helps.
Thanks Perry

Jos. Johnson Liverpool

Posts: 16 | Location: Springfield Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: August 07, 2004
posted
movement

Jos. Johnson Liverpool 2

Posts: 16 | Location: Springfield Massachusetts, U.S.A. | Registered: August 07, 2004
posted
movement #2

Jos. Johnson Liverpool 3

posted
case markings

posted
more case markings

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Looks like a mid grade 1855 Johnson.That would be very near the end of his watch company's life.

He worked at 25 Church Street Liverpool in the earlier part of his career.

I read in Shugart's he did alot of USA export stuff.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Perry,
What a great early watch. Looks nice and clean, and although I know nothing about these watches, I sure know a LOOKER when I see one!
Nice watch! Congratulations on a really nice find. I like it!!!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Thank you Stephen for your response do you have any more info on Johnson like when he started and how long he was in business.I like to know as much as possible on the watches or clocks that i have of my own.
Perry

Picture of Stephen L. Russell
posted
Very late 1790's to 1870's or so.Joseph Johnson was a family name that was used well beyond him building watches...The family just continued to use his name.

Not alot can be gleaned from his serial numbers as I think they were reset to a low number when he went from pair cases to more modern slimmer movements in about 1835 ish.

I think there may be a few members here who may be able expand on this info...thats all I can think of myself.

Posts: 849 | Location: Victoria, British Columbia Canada | Registered: December 05, 2003