• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

M.I. Tobias Railroad Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Help!!! I have a M.I. Tobias Railroad pocket watch and need some info. I don't know much about watches so any help would be appricated. Dial face says M.I. Tobias-Liverpool Railway Timekeeper. The back says Detached Lever, Full Jeweled, Hands N60373 Liverpool and what looks like G.F Cooperl in script

Posts: 1 | Location: Brandenburg, Kentucky USA | Registered: January 26, 2007
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Welcome James!

It would probably be best to share an image or two.

Meanwhile. it seems the "Railroad Timekeeper" term is often used on pretenders or "swiss-fake" watches so that may raise a red flag. There are also early Tobias watches listed and illustrated on page 553 of the "Complete Guide to Watches" 2007 Edition if that is of any help.

And, here is a link to "Tobias" in our "Find-Or-Search" on our site..

CLICK FOR: "Tobias" on the Chapter 185 Discussion Site

Hope that gets you started, let's see what others say.

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5218 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 660

posted
A number of good quality English watches were marked Railway Timekeeper on their dials. However, the fact that this opens from the back, and hands set from the back, strongly suggests that it is a Swiss imitation of a Tobias watch. Tobias was a well reputed Liverpool maker, much faked in America by low cost Swiss imports, which Tobias never commissioned.

Supporting this, the G. F. Cooperl sounds suspiciously like a takeoff on T. F. Cooper, another respected English maker, known in America for duplex escapement watches.

Photos would verify, but that is how it sounds from what you report.

Mike

Posts: 48 | Location: Massachusetts in the USA | Registered: December 24, 2005