Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

18K Breitling pocket watch info/help "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jon Harting
posted
I just came home from an auction preview where they have a 12 size, solid 18K gold Breitling pocket watch. It is in a hunter case that has blue/green enamel surrounded by fancy engraving, fleur de lis and other fancy stuff with 8 diamonds in the center on both front and back. The watch is key wind and key set. Serial number is 28488. When you move the watch around, the pattern in the enamel changes like a hologram. The second hand is missing but the watch runs. The movement is beautiful but plain gilded. I didn't have a camera so no pictures. The back of the cuvette is engraved with the number, then "Breitling Laederich, Chaux De Fonds and a personal inscription.
Does anyone have any info on key wind/set Breitling pocket watches? I feel that it's a pretty high end watch and the auction is tomorrow.
Thanks, Jon

Posts: 228 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Jon

Without pictures it is a hard try to answer and a little bit out of the blue but let's have a try.

What you describe is a genuine swiss watch, dating to the 1850' with translucent enamel (turquoise) over a golden background pattern.
The name Breitling-Laederich is well known but it has no known connection to the 'Breitling'firm. So if you are interrested on this watch bit on the watch, not on the name!. I fear this watch will prize high with someone on the 'Breitling','R...x' or other high brand name hype train.
Not knowing exacly what you have seen it may be usefull to check one of the past Jones & Horan auction picture (or other similiar source) for resemling watches to get a feeling for the value

Regards Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
Picture of Jon Harting
posted
Gerald,

Thank you for the information. I will be at the auction in about one hour and will just "play it by ear". I'll let you know what happens.

Jon

Picture of Jon Harting
posted
Well, I decided not to bid and the watch finally sold for $600.

posted
Thank you for the information.

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009