• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What's a VC worth? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
My brother-in-law is on the fence about what to do with his grandfather's Vacheron and Constantin - sell it or look for a hunter case with the appropriate stem. My '08 Shugart Guide doesn't place it, so I'm asking for a reasonable dollar figure for this watch. All I can tell you is it appears to be a 16s and it's running well.

Eric

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Movement

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I can't give you a price, but I love those wolf teeth. It looks alot like the one on page 558, it is a open face where yours is a hunter, so that might account for the difference. I can't figure out if that one has a price or not in the book.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I cannot tell you what your movement is worth, but I can tell you I paid $1,715 about 2 years ago for a V&C with a very similar, but higher grade, movement with a perfect dial and hands, in a massive solid 14k A.W.C.O. hunter case in excellent condition.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
posted
Eric, from my own perspective, regardless of the fact that it's a V&C, if that movement belonged to my Grandfather, the option would be a 'No brainer'!
I'd treasure it cased or Uncased, and keep a watchful eye on a suitable case turning up!

As a movement, there was a time it would probably fetch maybe £80 - £120 or so on eBay if offered to a worldwide shipping audience.

Recently though, there has been an absolute Glut of uncased movements hitting the site, arising from bullion dealers trawling for Gold and scrapping watches for the Gold content.
The movements have then been auctioned locally and hence dumped on 'the bay' for disposal by volume sellers.

I know this is happening in the UK, as even in our small town, we've recently had 'flyers' from a dealer trolling for watches with Gold cases.
They were at least 'up front' about their motives even if I disagree with it.

As you can imagine, movement prices fell through the floor, and I actually got sniped for a lousy £1.00 for a beautiful English Lever 'Freesprung' at £57.00GBP

Pursuade him not to unload it for a pittance when he may regret the decision bitterly in years to come!
As the saying goes, 'act in haste, repent at leisure'!

Just my tu'ppence worth!

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006