• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fusee Pocket Watch (Mid 1700's) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently acquired with "Coin" Key wind and chain. Plate reads "Morrison" and London.

Movement

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
posted
Case Chain Dial

Case, Movement

Posts: 105 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2011
posted
Modified Key utilizing old coin. Not sure what the coin is???

Coin Key

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice, I like those old watches.

I looked in the books for a possible Morrison in London but unfortunately there were several in London during that time period. If you would like I can give you their names.

I think the coin is from Denmark & the writing may be "King of Denmark, Norway, Vandalia, and Gotland", now this is just an guess on my part.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Case stampings

posted
thanks Tom..... yes.... I would appreciate the names of the Morrison watch makers in London from that period.

posted
Better shot of movement with serial number

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is from Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World 21st century edition by Loomes

Morrison, Alexander & Arthur London 1857 Usually Morison

Morrison, Alexander London about 1806

Morrison, Calebe Hyde, London about 1803

Morrison, Christopher London about 1706

Morrison, John London 1851-81

Morrison, Samuel London about 1736

Morrison, Theodore London (Street Swithin's Lane died 1766

Morrison, Thomas London early 19c, usually Morison

Morrison, William London 1828

Morrison, William II London 1863-81

I also looked in Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World Vol1 by Baille but it had nothing to add.

If you could post a good close up of the stampded "S" in the case we might could put a year on the watch. From what I see perhaps 1773? Also can you make out the makers marks, are they double M's?

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
By chance are the makers marks PB over JB which would be Peter & Jonathan Bateman who were from London in the 1790's or so?

Perhaps the marks are nothing like that, I just zoomed in as far as I could on the mark & guessed.

Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in.

Tom

posted
LOVE YOUR NOSE IN MY WATCH BUSINESS!!! VERY CURIOUS AS TO WHAT I HAVE ACQUIRED!! I WILL TRY TO TAKE SOME MORE CLOSE-UPS!

posted
Tom, The "S" dates the watch to 1773. The makers marks for the case are hard to decipher, however, it appears to be a "TL" over a "TS"

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Donald I could find nothing right now on those marks but I will keep an eye out.

Tom

posted
T.L over I.S (that's I and not L) would be Thomas Lawrence and James Stagg of Francis Court, St James, London and the mark was registered in March 1771. So it's a perfect fit for the 1773 date.

posted
1776 Fusee

posted
Encased movement

posted
Dial & Key

posted
Key close-up

posted
WoW! That is a nice looking movement in the 1st photo!

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011