Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

John Curtis English Verge Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
MIke Carroll an IHC185 member who lives near me brought in some pictures of his John Curtis English Verge Movment watch inquiring if anybody could advise the age of the movement . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The movment is runing well, within about 20 minutes a day, and certainly in nice condition!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike found John Curtis listed on page 451 of the price guide as "c 1720, London". However the movment seems more like later 18th Century than 1720. Any comments?

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Nifty Watch Paper too!

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World 21st Cen Ed by Loomes lists two John Curtis' in London that might fall into the range of the watch;

1. Curtis, John William, London (Clerkenwell) b.c. 1789, Neath (Wales)c. 1821-51. later Bathurst (new South Wales, Australia) where died 1863

2. Curtis, John London 1784-6

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
While I am not to be mistaken as an expert, the absence of a face on the balance cock, the shape of the pillars and the ornaments between the plates says IMHO that it could be early 1700's. Many of the "accepted" criteria designs outlived the needs of many watches in those days. Each "artistic" watchmaker of the days had his eccentricities.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
Dave I agree with buster on this movement. He explained his points so well there is no sense in me adding any more other than I have seen quite a few,

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am even further off from being an expert but I think the movement looks early 1800's.

Are there any photographs of the marks inside the case, sometimes those help to date the movement since often times they were made specifically ofr the watch.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is another John Curtis London that from the case hallmarks dates to 1812.

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Yes you are probably a lot closer than me Tom. Most of my research was from the guide [ which there is a lot of mis-information] on these early watches.

I am just hoping that through a presentation/discussion of facts we will be able to pin-point the maker and very close manufacturing date.

I find these early verge watches to be remarkable and early historical mileposts in the watchmaking industry. Any watch that runs on hardly nothing more than a "bicycle chain" for a train is astonishing to me Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
My guess is only based on the ones I own and the dates for them. I think it could be late 1700's to early 1800's. If it hasn't been recased those marks might tell us something.

I have been searching the London census for a John Curtis but it would appear there were a hundred or so over the years. I will keep looking.

Tom