Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pocketwatch crown removal from stem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 3058
Picture of Douglas Downer-Smith
posted
Hello every one
I have to replace the missing winding stem and crown on a Lemania split second timer (Cal 19N20)...I have a replacement stem but not a crown. I do have a suitable crown on and old stem but this is a friction fit to the square on the stem and seems permanently fixed. Any tips appreciated on how I can remove the crown without damage will be most appreciated.
Thank you
Doug
(Douglas Downer-Smith, UK)

Doug

Posts: 19 | Location: Hemel Hempstead in the United Kingdom | Registered: November 12, 2010
IHC Member 1954
posted
I just saw your post..what works well for me on these to remove the crown is this..get a small pair of needle nose or other small pliers that are fairly smooth on the edges..put the pliers under the shoulder of the square collar of the crown just with the end of the plier sticking out past it a little bit.put the end of the stem in a vise to the depth so that the crown is tight against the pliers and the pliers are tight against the vise..tighten up the vise on the stem..then just pry up a little on the handle of the pliers and the crown should come right off..done this many times with these with great success..it is kind of hard to explain,but only takes a couple of minutes to do..when putting in the other stem,i use lock tite to secure it so it will stay..

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
IHC Member 3058
posted
Many thanks Victor, I have tried this and it works. As a variation, I made two strong hand lifter type tools and prised from both sides with the stem in the vice and the length of the tools gave that extra control of the process. I also used some strong plastic to line the face of the vice jaws so that if I had to save the stem, this would not mar the stem in any way. One good thought brings on others, thank you.

Doug

Posts: 19 | Location: Hemel Hempstead in the United Kingdom | Registered: November 12, 2010
posted
Doug, any chance you could post a picture of the tool you made for the crown removal?
TIA

Posts: 45 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: October 25, 2016
IHC Member 3058
posted
Hi Eric, sorry for my tardy response to your question but I have had some personal problems which did not allow time for watches! I do not have a picture as the items I made as they broke on the second use. But what they were were lever hand lifters which I made rather than bought. What I did then was to use two small screwdrivers with a small indent on the blade to take the stem (so no slippage), one applied either side of the underside of the crown and used these as levers. This worked fine. I hope this explains?
Kind regards, Douglas

Doug