Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Girard-Perregaux Shell Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jeffery Hann
posted
Girard-Perregaux Shell Pocket Watch

Hello Everyone,One of the guy's I work with gave me a watch to check out for him, and I remember reading about this watch ,But I can't remember where, It is a 12 size skeleton marked 7 jewels unadjusted and Shell, was this a promo watch in Europe, any info would be great.

Jeffery

Posts: 192 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: January 18, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jeffery,
I believe that Shell used these watches as a promo in the U.S. (maybe Canada too??) The watches were filled with Shell motor oil, the idea being that the motor oil was so good it could be used in a "fine" watch.
I seem to remember these when I was a kid, so I would say a time frame of the mid to late 1950s, but that is only a guess.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jeffery,

Check Shugart's "Complete Guide to Watches" page 493 of the 2004 Edition. Not meaning to challenge Ed, he knows watches far better than I, but the story I've been told is they were lubricated at the factory with Shell Motor Oil, not actually filled with it. Consider this, both the front and back bezels on mine are rather ordinary snap-fit, doubtful that would retain any liquid.

I do believe the year was 1940 and some 30,000 were produced. Legend has it they found out early-on that motor oil was too thick to lubricate a watch. The one in my collection runs fine on full-synthetic... watch oil. Wink

Lindell

Skeletonized Girard Perregaux Shell Promotional...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Lindell, great picture!

On that same page 493 (2004) It says:
Skeletonized "Shell Watch" (golden Shell Oil) advertising a watch filled with Shell car motor oil they wanted to prove even a watch would run on this top quality car motor oil. Most stopped with heavy car oil, so the oil was removed from some watches.

Sounds like a good idea, if they had only thought to make a watch, with gears as big as a horse, to handle the motor oil. lol Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Not to challenge or offend anyone either, but how would a watch run if the balance wheel and hairspring were in oil?
The case would have to be machined quite well or gaskets to prevent oil from coming out.I would like one to add to my colection, i like those skeleton movements.Great picture of your watch Lindell.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Thanks Shiela, thats where I had seen the "filled with Shell motor oil" information. I have restored a couple of these watches, and of course Lindell is right, the cases were not liquid tight and if they had been filled with oil it would have quickly leaked out into the wearer's pocket. Plus, immersing a hairspring in oil will not do wonders for its timekeeping ability. Roll Eyes Eek

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Apparently Royal Dutch Shell distributed some 30,000 of these rascals about 65 years ago. They show up every now and then. Without question they are an interesting curiosity with a very intriging history.

The movement you might want to be looking for...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jeffery Hann
posted
Thank's everyone for the info, the gentleman I work with will appreciate the info, Have to go and watch my son sleep, just got home from work!!!, Yeah!!!

Jeffery

Posts: 192 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: January 18, 2004
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Jeffery,

Clinton Watch Co. also made pocket watches for Shell Oil Co. This cutie even has a fob attached that reads "Shell for today's precision built cars so pure it lubricates this watch".

Ebay item # 4913563088.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4913563088

If you hurry, you may own it! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The auction example, which I'd not seen before looks like a 1960s or so item to me. There is a big difference in the two we're talking about. Seeing the later one makes me wonder how many times such promotionals were released.

Dial-side of original 1940 G-P skeletonized version...