Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show us your Gruen Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the movement from the 1943 Presentation Gruen Watch.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Just to bump this, and as an epilogue, the semi-thin Gruen 15j that I mentioned on page one of this thread I received for Christmas from my wife and daughters....and is now in the hands of Chris Abell for a COA! Big Grin

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1736
posted
Dave Abbe steered me toward this auction last week. Great little 12s watch. I'd love to know more about it.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Click and winding wheel screws are both left hand thread.

Fingers and Bridge are separate stand alone items rather than a full train bridge.

I really like the cap jewel design.

The jewels and pivots throughout this watch are very nice.

Going barrel cut to accept T end or hole end main spring, either or... currently fit with a T end.

Screws for the fingers, bridge and cock are all unique sizes to fit their application.

Ernie has a similar watch shown on page one of this thread with the DG&S logo. The general layout is similar... but a lot of the details are different. Click design, screw placement...

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1736
posted
Suisse watch with US patent 833489. The patent number is hard to read in this photo, so I pulled the dial again to verify this is the correct number.

Patent Info: https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6047761/m/4193956387

Everything is really stout. Clutch springs are very heavy. Pendant set and wind are American design. Click looks more American in nature than other examples of these early watches as well.

A good look at the other cap jewel.

This is the only location with a full serial number. Other components are matched with either 569 or just 69 stamped on the back side of the fingers, bridge, balance cock and barrel plates.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Can this watch be dated by the US Patent? I am going to estimate 1900-1903 based on the Suisse movement and the pre-verithin gear train layout.

It took a little time to fit a pair of hands to this girl that looked right. She's back together and running well with great timing numbers.